MSD Lazer Gauge - See any problems with the setup?

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
For the life of me Ive searched for someone using the gauge and cant find anyone, or when I do they dont respond. I think Im going to bite the bullet and just purchase the setup. It APPEARS that it comes with an EGT probe, but not really sure how it gets boost... something about a map sensor? I think I have to tap as normal then it just electronically sends the signal to the gauge so its not fully mechanical into the cab, correct? Some people were talking about it tapping into stock wiring, which didnt make sense.

The gauge looks really cool :D

msdlazer.jpg

Link to MSDs site: http://www.msdignition.com/2006/06-1.htm

PDF on them : http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/4630_frm27662.pdf

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
I have a Lazer gauge on my truck.

I've got mixed emotions about it though. It is really sweet when it is working properly. The lie detector is really nice for racing so you don't have to watch the gauge. I've got it mounted on a steering column mount that I had to Jerry rig to get it to look half way good. It still looks kind of redneck. I guess GM changed the shape of the steering columns in 03, and the mount is made for 01's or something.

I like the way the gauge looks and it appears to be very accurate. It has a probe with it but the leader is very short. I could barely make it from pax side manifold to the steering column, A pilar would be out of the question unless you wnet from the driver side manifold. The boost is read by a MAP sensor that comes with the gauge. I mounted it under the hood and used the SD manifold and some nitrous line to the MAP sensor that came with it.

The things I don't like about this gauge is that it is loud. That's right loud. The led that makes the gauge look so cool spins inside the gauge really fast and sometimes it sounds like a high pitch whine. Also sometimes the gauge will hang up. After some passes or dyno runs, I've noticed that the EGT side would only come back down to 700 degrees. Then, I'd have to turn the truck off to reset the gauge and it would be fine again. Also, I've been driving down the road and have it go into demo mode, where it doesn't read anything just flashes and sweeps the needles for awhile then it will just quit. After about 2 minutes it will pop back up like nothing ever happened.

The main reason I'm not a big fan of this gauge is that it is BRIGHT! At night it lights up the whole cab, even with it programed to the dimmest setting it is still so bright that I've had to cover it with a napkin when driving on dark country roads. It's totally controlled by a computer program that comes with it, you have to adjust the sensitivity of the "optic" sensor that controls the brightness, but I can't get it dim enough for my taste.

It's a great idea and I wish it was as cool in reality as it is on paper. I'm likely going to go with Nexus gauges in the future.

Hope this helps, if you're still dead set on it maybe you could buy mine. I'll cut you a deal.;)

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
the gauge that Diesel Pilot has looks really sweet!!! Ive seen it many times. I dont recall ever seeing it at night but it does have a nice buzzing noise to it