Moving to Phoenix, AZ

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
Going to be moving to Phoenix here in the next few months. Trying to get an idea of where to go. Have an 11 year old so schools and safety are on the top of the list. Wife will be working at the VA hospital, want to keep her drive at 45mins max.

I will also be moving an entire shop and the plan is to reopen. Probably put every thing in storage until I figure out where to put the shop. Thanks .

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
The VA hospital is at 7th ST and Indian School RD. If you were to drive north on 7th ST between Camelback RD and north to the Canal, there are lots of moderately priced homes and good schools. The best thing is to call a Realtor with your price range and what type of home you would like (as long as you don't want one with a basement). I live in Sunnyslope, north of the canal and the schools here are great (there is a long line of people who want to get into Sunnyslope HS, but can't), but it is a fairly poor part of town, So south of the canal and east of 7th ST is where I would start looking. Lots of traffic in Phoenix, so living close to work is a good thing in my opinion. The Phoenix area is absolutely HUGE and there are tons of choices for living, so keep looking, keep talking to people who live here, and find what you want. Rent for 6 months if you can to be sure you like an area before buying. No doubt your shop location will be critical also.

Reactions: Dozerboy

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Welcome to town!

I just got out of the city. You’ve got to be careful where you pick down in the heart of Phoenix. You go from great areas to crap in the matter of a block. 45min drive with traffic means you got some wiggle room. My wife use to work down town and from our old house in north Glendale, it was a 35min drive during rush hour on i17.

If it were me, I’d look in the Mesa/chandler area, north phx/north Glendale/Peoria area, or even western scottsdale by the 51 freeway.

Not sure what your budget is but the market is absolutely nuts right now. Houses are selling for WAY more than they are worth or have been worth in years past. Finding a rental is damn near non existent (house or apartment). Sellers all have the upper hands and finding someone to rent to you before buying, I don’t see happening.

Also, be forewarned that finding good help or mechanics to hire out here is an absolute bitch right now if you will be hiring when you get the shop going.

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
Thanks for the info, certainly going to get a realtor and take our time trying to finding a place.

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
Finally made it to AZ. Found a home in Queen Creek. Now I need to build a shop, seems that all the builders are several months out before they can start. Any recommendations for builders in the area? Thanks.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Finally made it to AZ. Found a home in Queen Creek. Now I need to build a shop, seems that all the builders are several months out before they can start. Any recommendations for builders in the area? Thanks.

Steel building or stick built? I’m currently in the process of building one. Certainly can help there

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Don't really have a preference, I've had both stick and steel, whichever is cheaper. Looking at a 50x60.

Steel will most likely be cheaper, it just wont be cooler during the summer months. stick with light colors and 4" insulation roof and sides (more doesnt really make that big of difference unless you a/c it and run it constantly).

Southwest Building Solutions is who im using and is one of the best out here. they actually call you back and Matt (guy i work with) is great to work with. Otehrwise there is Gable steel and Desperado buildings. Stick built, i dont have much info for out where you are. I can get you in touch with a good friend of mine though that would probably be able to general it for you and lives out there. last i talked with him, it was 65-75 bucks a square foot though due to lumber/labor prices.

if you have not talked with SW yet, PM me and ill send you his number. buildings are 20-24 weeks out though from the mfg. thats pretty much going to happen across the board for steel building builders

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Not sure what your budget is but the market is absolutely nuts right now. Houses are selling for WAY more than they are worth or have been worth in years past. Finding a rental is damn near non existent (house or apartment). Sellers all have the upper hands and finding someone to rent to you before buying, I don’t see happening.

Also, be forewarned that finding good help or mechanics to hire out here is an absolute bitch right now if you will be hiring when you get the shop going.
I think it's like this everywhere.

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
Steel will most likely be cheaper, it just wont be cooler during the summer months. stick with light colors and 4" insulation roof and sides (more doesnt really make that big of difference unless you a/c it and run it constantly).

Southwest Building Solutions is who im using and is one of the best out here. they actually call you back and Matt (guy i work with) is great to work with. Otehrwise there is Gable steel and Desperado buildings. Stick built, i dont have much info for out where you are. I can get you in touch with a good friend of mine though that would probably be able to general it for you and lives out there. last i talked with him, it was 65-75 bucks a square foot though due to lumber/labor prices.

if you have not talked with SW yet, PM me and ill send you his number. buildings are 20-24 weeks out though from the mfg. thats pretty much going to happen across the board for steel building builders

Ended up using Southwest. Shop should be done by June.

Lq4chevy

Nov 25, 2019
how is the shop project going? There are a couple lots in south chandler Im thinking if the market crashes in the near future maybe but a shop up