Motorcycle Hauler on Front of 2009 Duramax

username taken

Aug 26, 2009
i would worry about over heat issues.

X 2. Mine runs hot enough as is towing without obstructing airflow to the radiator.

With a CC, I gotta wonder about pushing the limits of the front end GAWR as well. I didn't think the 2009 CCs could push a plow because of the front end's rating.

jramstead

Sep 27, 2009
Gt. Falls, Mt.
mine runs straight up which i believe is 210 loaded or empty.
the transmission temp was 192
i got 12.3 mpg at 65mph
it was 80 degrees and had the a/c on

Last edited:

mb1

Nov 15, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
If your cooling is good, I can't see the weight making that much of a difference, nobody ever bats an eye when putting a big heavy road armor bumper or whatever on, 260# is pretty small as a % of weight on the front end.

JIA's Dad

Nov 24, 2009
My only concern is, Are you legal? Blocking headlights and turning signals from view on a vehicle is against the law.

I am sure you have to make the boat tail lights signal for you truck. Same way as towing a car.

How does the head lights and turning signals on the front of the truck show up to others on the roadway. Looks like the motorcycle is in the way blocking them.:confused:

But I must say, your loaded!!!:cool2:

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
The joy of owning a truck! Unlimited options! I do not see the bike as a huge problem with the cooling. I carry a plow on the front of mine. I know it is winer, but that is a huge piece of curved metal that is 7 feet wide and almost 3 feet tall. Deffinatly blocking the radiator more than a bike, but I do not have problems with over heating.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Guys, you all seem to forget that having a trailer behind you pull weight off the front end;)

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
I see this is an old thread, but his pics are of a fifth wheel which means it puts weight ON the front not pull it off. :thumb:

Tank01

Dec 31, 2010
Awesome, now thats loaded!!!

In you were in Texas the "HighMan" would love to get your signature, they want Lic. Plates in full view, front and back. However, I don't think his bike weighs more than my "Ranch Hand' front bumper..

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I see this is an old thread, but his pics are of a fifth wheel which means it puts weight ON the front not pull it off. :thumb:

Blue it all depends on where the point of load is. Not all fifth wheel hitches are the same:thumb:. Remember the pivot point is the rear axle, this is nothing more than a seesaw.

My gooseneck pulls weight off the front of my truck, as the front fenders are significantly higher with the trailer than without.

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
Blue it all depends on where the point of load is. Not all fifth wheel hitches are the same:thumb:. Remember the pivot point is the rear axle, this is nothing more than a seesaw.

My gooseneck pulls weight off the front of my truck, as the front fenders are significantly higher with the trailer than without.

I have always put the ball a few inches in front of the rear axle. If it's in front of the rear axle how would it be taking weight off the front or make it take weight off the front?

You could put the hitch right in between the bed and cab and it would still have the see saw effect when taking off and slowing down, that doesn't mean it's pulling the weight off the front of the truck....

I don't see how the front fenders being higher
than the back has anything to do with how much weight is on the front. You could put 50lbs or 50'000lbs on the same trailer and the 50k would obviously leave the front fenders higher than the rear and the front would still have more weight on it wouldn't it? Even when the front of the truck tries to come up when you take off it's still carrying extra weight on it, and the inertia is bound to make the front lift when you take off, plus once you get up into the higher gears that lift from the torque goes away but the weight doesn't.

I know that the front end being higher makes it handle like shit by throwing off the way the weight transfers, but the weight is still there regardless of the height of the front end so the height of the front end would be the problem wouldn't it? And adding the motorcycle to the front should easily compensate for the camper or the see saw effect of any trailer then.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
If the hitch is inbetween the front and rear axle it adds weight. If it is behind the rear axle it removes weight from the front end.

I said my front fenders are higher with trailer than without trailer, nothing to do with the back fenders. I'm talking strictly front vs front here.

I don't really care to argue. His truck can handle a motorcycle on the front regardless.

I have always put the ball a few inches in front of the rear axle. If it's in front of the rear axle how would it be taking weight off the front or make it take weight off the front?

You could put the hitch right in between the bed and cab and it would still have the see saw effect when taking off and slowing down, that doesn't mean it's pulling the weight off the front of the truck....

I don't see how the front fenders being higher
than the back has anything to do with how much weight is on the front. You could put 50lbs or 50'000lbs on the same trailer and the 50k would obviously leave the front fenders higher than the rear and the front would still have more weight on it wouldn't it? Even when the front of the truck tries to come up when you take off it's still carrying extra weight on it, and the inertia is bound to make the front lift when you take off, plus once you get up into the higher gears that lift from the torque goes away but the weight doesn't.

I know that the front end being higher makes it handle like shit by throwing off the way the weight transfers, but the weight is still there regardless of the height of the front end so the height of the front end would be the problem wouldn't it? And adding the motorcycle to the front should easily compensate for the camper or the see saw effect of any trailer then.

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
I'm not arguing with you just stating my opinion, and since 75% of my job is hauling oversize and overweight I have a pretty good understanding of how weight and weight transfer is supposed to work..... :thumb:

IMO.... If a fifth wheel hitch is directly over or behind the center of the rear axle, it's in the wrong place.

If yours is over or behind, that's why your fenders are higher with a load on it. The front won't go down as far as the back but it should still go down. :)

I drive around all winter with snow plows on both my dmaxs, roughly 1000lbs each, so that bike is not heavy enough to scare me at all either, just hope he gets enough air because that's the only thing I have trouble with is overheating at highway speeds from the air going over the hood.