Motor break in question please help

Dmaxpaullly

Jan 28, 2013
northwest corner of connecticu
I recently bought a full motor for my lly and I am almost reaching the point where I can start if for the first time while I had the motor out I put better gaskets, head studs, 20% over nozzles and a turbo mouth piece my question is what is the best way to break in the motor and should I change the oil more frequently at first?

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Break it in how you want it to run. Make sure you have a load on the engine as much as possible, pulling a slightly heavy trailer around for a while is good. Don't be worried to let er eat, if something is gonna come loose, it's gonna come loose, babying it or flooring it.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Mine was a stock build but I ran it for about 30 minutes for initial run, then changed oil. Then drove it "normal" for the first couple hundred miles. With a couple short bursts of wot. Then changed oil again and ran the shit out of it. Just like he said above. Run it how you will drive it.

sent from a galaxy far far away

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I recently bought a full motor for my lly and I am almost reaching the point where I can start if for the first time while I had the motor out I put better gaskets, head studs, 20% over nozzles and a turbo mouth piece my question is what is the best way to break in the motor and should I change the oil more frequently at first?

Did you buy a full brand new motor or is it just a used long block that you bought and added some new gaskets, injectors and a mouth piece to?

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
With my built motor I started it up and allowed it to idle for 5-10 min checking for leaks etc. I then turned it off, checked fluids and just gave it another once over. After that I hoped in and went for a drive. First couple hundred miles I varied the throttle as much as possible, trying to keep it under a load. After the 200 miles I added some wot runs with some of them being up hills to put a better load on the engine. At 500 miles I changed the oil and drove it like I normally would. I noticed the engine ran smoother and there was no more smoke outta the pcv hose after the wot runs up the hills. Have aprox 5k on the engine now, lots of street driving and some heavy towing, and the truck doesn't burn any oil and runs like a top! :thumb:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Let my engine run for 10-15 mins, shut off and changed the oil.

Ran 2nd batch of oil for 250 miles, drove it in tow/haul to help seat rings, varied speed and throttle. changed oil. Put in 450rwhp tune

ran 3rd batch of oil until 1000 miles. Put in 600rwhp tune.

I change the oil every 1000 miles now. Uses no oil.:thumb:

Crawler

Aug 26, 2013
DFW, TX
Fire it, check for leaks, go for a drive and hammer it. If it was an exotic build then it could be different depending on rings and pistons used.

Put a few miles on it and change the oil. Then enjoy it. Best to not hold a steady RPM for the first couple hundred RPM or let it idle excessively.

My builds, usually get fired and checked for leaks on dino oil, oil drained and refilled with dino, then put on a load dyno or straight to the drag strip.

After that I street drive them. Problem with driving on the street for break in, is that you have no control of the traffic conditions.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Thought so from their web site. I have a Jaspar engine in my CJ

LIVE-RUN AND DYNAMOMETER TESTING
Every JASPER complete diesel engine is tested. All running complete engines are live-run dynamometer tested under varying loads simulating in-the-vehicle operation. Units receive a pre-start and basic run-in inspection as well as final run-in and final inspection to assure peak performance and operating efficiency. Horsepower and RPM readings are monitored and recorded at varied and full loads. The engine is completely tuned including valve train adjustments. All functions of the injection pump, injectors and governor are verified.

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Regular oil for 1000 miles and drive it like you normally would, with a few hard runs. Change oil and good to go.