More turbo threads I read the more confused I get

novaman64

that guy
Jun 18, 2013
Placerville, CA
So was considering upgrading the turbo on my LMM. Main reason is to have lower EGT's while towing. A little info about me/my truck. Its a DD, I live at about 3000ft, on weekends haul from 5000-7000lbs, about once a month haul around 16k lbs. When I am hauling, a fair amount of it is at altitude, 3-7k feet. Added MPG's would be nice, but not really going to decide for me, I know most of that has to do with self control of my foot...

I am looking to retain close to stock like spoolup, and close to stock turbo braking. Something that will be stock bottom end friendly (I know a good amount of this will be how the tuners gets it setup), currently have stock sticks/CP3, though I eventually am looking at upgrading to 40 over injectors to try and keep drive pressure down. Reliability is a must.

I am considering a S475 over stock, down side to me is all the plumbing, oil temps and potential headache if I ever had to do emissions testing.

Also have been doing a ton of reading about the Danville BMW GT3794VA Stg2, Fleece 63 Cheetah and HTT Promax 64. Also saw SDP has a GT3794 BatmoWheel 65mm that they advertise as stock like spoolup, but haven't found any reviews of it online.

I am sort of leaning towards a single currently for the reasons of, if I ever have to deal with emissions testing, it would be easier than removing a twin setup. Not to mention with my OEM turbo having almost 200k on it, with my luck if I twinned over it it would crap out, then I would be shelling out another 2k to replace it.

Thoughts and/or advice?

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
I'll second the s475/stock. And I would keep the factory size injectors if your looking for mpg.

kowclub173

May 7, 2012
Compounds would be ideal. I have the Danville 3794 and tow commercially with it. Generally pulling 15-25k. It works great. I did a 3" y bridge and down pipe at the same time. Egts dropped about 100° iirc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kowclub173

May 7, 2012
Honestly though if you just want lower egts I would keep the stock turbo and get a set of pro flow manifolds and up pipes. Cheaper and likely lower temps.

novaman64

that guy
Jun 18, 2013
Placerville, CA
Compounds would be ideal. I have the Danville 3794 and tow commercially with it. Generally pulling 15-25k. It works great. I did a 3" y bridge and down pipe at the same time. Egts dropped about 100° iirc

I was planning on doing manifolds and up pipes when I did the turbo...

Why did you decide to go with the Danville 3794 instead of twinning?

kowclub173

May 7, 2012
I was planning on doing manifolds and up pipes when I did the turbo...

Why did you decide to go with the Danville 3794 instead of twinning?

Only reason I upgraded was my stock turbo had sticky vanes. Compound kit and new valley charger was way out of the budget.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Your coworkers at Dmax Store wont give you any advice?

I would go 475/stocker myself.

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
I've found egts are a bit higher just cruising with my profab manifolds and up pipes vs the stock stuff. WOT i definitely a different story though. Bigger isnt always better for towing. Honestly for towing heavy the 3794 is probably about as big as you want to go to keep egts in control. Any bigger and the stock turbo is probably better. Twins would be best, but its alot of cash. Danville's 3794 has done well for me towing. I'll be honest though, power is up, and so are the egts a bit while towing. The stock turbo ran pretty dang cool for me towing here in MN. It barely ever broke 1100*. BUT, also had quite a bit less pulling power vs the 3794. My buddy has danvilles 4094 stg2r, and his truck runs warmer than mine towing, even though his spoolup from a stop is about twice as quick as mine.(4094 ex. housing is quite a bit bigger than the 3794)

novaman64

that guy
Jun 18, 2013
Placerville, CA
I've found egts are a bit higher just cruising with my profab manifolds and up pipes vs the stock stuff. WOT i definitely a different story though. Bigger isnt always better for towing. Honestly for towing heavy the 3794 is probably about as big as you want to go to keep egts in control. Any bigger and the stock turbo is probably better. Twins would be best, but its alot of cash. Danville's 3794 has done well for me towing. I'll be honest though, power is up, and so are the egts a bit while towing. The stock turbo ran pretty dang cool for me towing here in MN. It barely ever broke 1100*. BUT, also had quite a bit less pulling power vs the 3794. My buddy has danvilles 4094 stg2r, and his truck runs warmer than mine towing, even though his spoolup from a stop is about twice as quick as mine.(4094 ex. housing is quite a bit bigger than the 3794)

Who's tuning do you have? I heard Mark's tunes run super cool....

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
I had Mark's stuff for a year or two and now am doing my own tuning. Marks stuff ran alot cooler than the PPEI stuff I tried originally. Marks tuning was alot more fun to drive than the PPEI tunes. That and Mark is a super nice guy. But, tuning only goes so far for spool up etc.