Allison 5sp: Mild built 2001 5 speed options

dirtymax36

2nd place is last
Apr 11, 2013
Been working on a side project, a mild build for a service truck. Truck won't be over 500hp as it's a stock turbo truck used for trailer pulling. Precision 2000 stall converter is here ready to go, i was thinking some basic alto clutches from alligator and a transgo kit ? Something to keep costs down ? Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I would not use slotted C3/C4 clutches and steels. Buy a good kit or do it over next year.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
How close to 500 do you plan on being?

I'd go with the gpz clutches in the c2, easier to setup correctly than the Alto power pack. And I second NOT running the basic power pack in the c3, unless it's going to be a work truck with a small tune. I tore my c3 power pack up with just over 500hp and I never really beat on it, made it to the track twice and that was it.

I know this contradicts what Mike said, but my c4 power pack looked perfect when I had the trans apart, BUT the truck doesn't weigh 9k.

whytry

Oct 11, 2010
Here is my advice if you wanna save some money.
Keep the power around 400hp, your never gonna tow 15k+ at 500hp without having egt issues....keep it at 400 and be happy. Now at 400 you can get away with altos (setup properly) but your gonna need to add line pressure. And with the Trans go I would avoid the C2 mods in the kit it will cause issues with the 3-4 shift. Dont get distracted by the sarcasm on here, lots of guys want a decent build but don't have 4-5 grand to spend.

dirtymax36

2nd place is last
Apr 11, 2013
Thanks for the advice, although i know the truck will never be towing on a 500hp tune...

The truck can barely hold a 40hp tow tune at the moment in overdrive pulling a goose, I know how much i have invested in my 800+hp LLY trans and i would like to advoid that at all possible since this truck wont ever be over 500 max, my point was asking if theres any other alternative solutions than the Raybestos GPZ clutches these days since the price is through the roof on those style of kits. Sorry i did not specify whytry i like the way you think.

Thanks for the smart answers posted above, thanks.

whytry

Oct 11, 2010
Unfortunately anything over 400-425 hp towing, I recommend Suncoast clutches.. (there gpz design) not Gpz dropins. Honestly the clutches aren't the expensive part. It's the wear parts that should be changed to make these trans work/shift correctly. When I rebuild these trans there isn't a part or piece that doesn't get inspected. Sealing rings need replaced and bore checked. Rubber seals on the Pistons get hard and don't seal as well, bushings wear causing poor lock up so on and so forth. You would be amazed how well they will hold with fresh parts that are setup correctly.

whytry

Oct 11, 2010
Sorry to stray away from your question. In my opinion stock clutches or gpz drop ins up to 400-425hp after that like previous stated you need to go with better clutches I've used Suncoast gpz designed clutches with great success.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Here is my advice if you wanna save some money.

Keep the power around 400hp, your never gonna tow 15k+ at 500hp without having egt issues....keep it at 400 and be happy. Now at 400 you can get away with altos (setup properly) but your gonna need to add line pressure. And with the Trans go I would avoid the C2 mods in the kit it will cause issues with the 3-4 shift. Dont get distracted by the sarcasm on here, lots of guys want a decent build but don't have 4-5 grand to spend.

So you found a cheap ass way to do this? You seem to know how to hold power with out dated clutches. Tell me the biggest problem with slotted clutches and why they will not hold. tell me what special preperations need to be done with the slotted clutches to even make it to 5K miles without failing.

Let's see how much you know.

Last edited by a moderator:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I'm just a peon here, but I put mine back together with one of the GPZ "pro series" setups with 6 frictions and .098" steels. I went this route because I'm cheap (sorry Mike :D ) and I got the plates machined for very cheap. I had under $200 in my c3 pack.

The GPZ friction plates did have splines removed to aid in oiling the inner friction surface, but I don't see how it helps very much without modifying the piston and apply plate?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You could buy that trans that Toner is selling and call it a day....

There is no just cheap way to get around upgrades on these trucks. Your customer needs to understand that.

whytry

Oct 11, 2010
So you found a cheap ass way to do this? You seem to know how to hold power with out dated clutches. Tell me the biggest problem with slotted clutches and why they will not hold. tell me what special preperations need to be done with the slotted clutches to even make it to 5K miles without failing.

Let's see how much you know.

Nobody said it was a "cheap ass way"
That's the problem with forums all the big wigs walk around with there nose up. The guy needs good info not to be bashed for wanting to save a little. I am glad I'm in a small town and have a great customer base. I have trans out there with 100k miles on them working great and people love them. I garrentee you don't need 5 grand to build a good unit other then to pad your pocket.
I've been though the ups and downs with thin steels and drum issues... Learned a lot from the c3s oiling issues heat issues. I build based off the customer needs and make sure they understand that. I just tried to help and got the response I expected. Have a good day

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Nobody said it was a "cheap ass way"
That's the problem with forums all the big wigs walk around with there nose up. The guy needs good info not to be bashed for wanting to save a little. I am glad I'm in a small town and have a great customer base. I have trans out there with 100k miles on them working great and people love them. I garrentee you don't need 5 grand to build a good unit other then to pad your pocket.
I've been though the ups and downs with thin steels and drum issues... Learned a lot from the c3s oiling issues heat issues. I build based off the customer needs and make sure they understand that. I just tried to help and got the response I expected. Have a good day

I said it was a cheap ass way, not someone else dummy. You build your Allisons your way with your out dated parts and tell people it will hold big power. People like you are the big problems with the internet. You built a few transmissions and they worked. Good for you. But with your obvious lack of knowledge you are here telling people how to build a cheap trans. You are the moron that has his nose up in the air, not us.
Go post your greatness somewhere else because you know nothing.

whytry

Oct 11, 2010
I guess in all your greatness you missed the part about I build them for the customers needs. If they are 400hp and tow they don't need a 5k bill end of story, and your grasping for straws I don't tell them it will hold big power. Never said that I have other options for 400+ guys. Take your tampon out Mike your not the only guy that can build a Allison.