Michelin LT 265/70R17 tire wearing on the outside rear tires only..

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
These four tires were on my 2007 2500HD NBS gasser, removed them and installed shortly after purchasing my D-max along with the 1-1/2" sway bars front and rear. They were originally mounted on some 2008 GMC wheels which were 7.5" wide. I found some Hummer wheels for $200.00 and could not pass them up and are 8.5" wide and the wear pattern did not start until I installed the Hummer wheels...

The truck sits almost level due to the toolbox and tools the weight is around 1400lbs. I never attempt to "smoke" the tires or any other abusive behavior besides speeding as my speed limiter has malfunctioned as I found out just recently and going through freeway clovers marked 45mph at 50-60 mph

I noticed the wear and had them rotated as the fronts had a nice even wear pattern and now that they are on the rear they have started wearing on the outside.

I know the front track is wider than the rear by about 2" IIRC, would some 2" rear spacers help......Is the weight being thrown to the outside edge by the swaybars I have...?
=
=
=
2q2l7ox.jpg
Report this image
=
=
=
2zqernp.jpg
Report this image
=
=
Rear tires, the front are the same now..
=
=
214wg1l.jpg
Report this image
=
=
=

2lxc740.jpg
Report this image=
=
=
=
22de2q.jpg
Report this image
=
=
=
=
=

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
80psi rear 70-75psi front, the fronts were in perfect shape til I rotated to the rear. The tires that were on the back are now in the front have more wear than what's in the picture.

Last edited:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Have you gotten it aligned with the usual weight it carries? The alignment specs on these trucks does take in account some load but an alignment wouldn't hurt. Be curious to see where your angles are at right now.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Another theory is your tires had a wear pattern with 7.5" wide wheels. Installing the tires on an inch wider wheel will technically force the outer edges harder into the road. May wear like that until the tires are used to the new wheels.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Had the alignment checked a few months back, he asked if I towed a lot as their was minimal wear on the front end parts and the alignment was good and he knows about the weight in the back. Previous owner towed a fair amount and sold the truck to me with 37k on the clock with 50k current. Going from 7.5 width to 8.5 may be part of the problem. I might install some 2" spacers and have the tires reversed on the wheels, damn I dislike white lettering. Forgot the truck is a 2x4..

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
I think you said it in your first post. you may be cornering too fast with a heavy load and its causing wear? a lot of city driving?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Had the alignment checked a few months back, he asked if I towed a lot as their was minimal wear on the front end parts and the alignment was good and he knows about the weight in the back. Previous owner towed a fair amount and sold the truck to me with 37k on the clock with 50k current. Going from 7.5 width to 8.5 may be part of the problem. I might install some 2" spacers and have the tires reversed on the wheels, damn I dislike white lettering. Forgot the truck is a 2x4..

not quite sure what your thinking is behind the 2" wheel spacers other than aesthetics. they wont cure the tire wearing like that.

btw, from the pics your inner and outer edge of the tire looks to be wearing the same amount, not just the outer edge. id throw a tread debth gauge on each row and see just how much each row of tread is at. tires can play dirty tricks on the eyes

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Locker in the back?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Stock rearend...

not quite sure what your thinking is behind the 2" wheel spacers other than aesthetics. they wont cure the tire wearing like that.

btw, from the pics your inner and outer edge of the tire looks to be wearing the same amount, not just the outer edge. id throw a tread debth gauge on each row and see just how much each row of tread is at. tires can play dirty tricks on the eyes

I'll go down after a bit and have them measured, I was reading on a site about how the tracking being narrower on the back as opposed to the front might effect tread wear and turning radius.

It was also demonstrated with the tracking what happens to the tracking of the tires when the front is wider than the rear when turning and then how it tracks differently with the rear equal or wider. Take a close look at the postal vehicles, the front is substantially narrower than the rear and can make a U-turn in very short radius.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Friday I took a trip to Costco where I purchased the tires, checked the tread depth and I explained as little as possible and had the front end checked before taking a trip to California and all was OK. His response was do you have that in writing. Well I did not as the shop never charged me to check it.

Sooo I took a trip back to Jacks Auto Alignment on 28st on and Thomas, I believe Chevy1925 may know where he is located. He checked the front and rear and all checked out OK so I asked for something in writing for Costco. What surprised me was he did not charge me for this 20-30 minute check, his front end pit clean to the point of spotless, well organized and FAST.

I took it back to Costco and was told to just keep eye on them as I have been doing, guess mileage will tell the story from here..

Tire wear

Rear 9/32 inside 7/32 outside

Front 8/32 inside 6/32 outside

Kudos to Jacks for their service and some pictures of his shop in the link below..

http://www.jacksautoaz.com/