MF'ing LB7 downpipe bolts

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
The input and output of the multiplier are 1/2" square drive. I forget the size, but a 12 point ratcheting box end will fit the square input shaft.

I wedge the reaction tube under the up-pipe for the best results. I have circled the reaction tube in the picture.

I should mention that this is far from a heavy duty tool. What do you want for $20 !!?

Last edited:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I guess I got lucky mine werent too terrible. I just used a long handled MAC flex head ratchet and a good 12point 12mm socket and me and 3 buddies pulling on it:rofl:

Yall are crazy putting them cheetahs on only to fight them damn bolt again:rofl:

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Ive been trying to crack my downpipe bolts for a few days now, soaking them with PB blaster and trying to crack while motor is hot, none of which have worked. Ive done a few other swaps and they were a PITA but never got stuck like I am with my own truck. I have a cal emissions with an EGR so going in through the fenderwell doesnt work. I was thinking of trying to split the turbo and pull it out in halves but didnt know if this was possible. What do you guys think

are you putting a new turbo on ?

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
I guess I got lucky mine werent too terrible. I just used a long handled MAC flex head ratchet and a good 12point 12mm socket and me and 3 buddies pulling on it:rofl:

Yall are crazy putting them cheetahs on only to fight them damn bolt again:rofl:

I honestly cant say that it was that big of a deal, I did have the Diamond Eye pipe on for a while before the Cheetah came along and my egr cooler was also gone, not sure if that helped no having the stock turbo pipe or not. The only thing that came off the top end of the motor was the a/c compressor was unbolted and swung to the passenger side. A thick sleeping bag was laid over the motor for comfort. ;)
The Diamond Eye pipe was removed, as was the heat shield from the top of the turbo, the trans dipstick was loosened and pulled out of the way, but not removed. The uppipes were removed with a combination of air tools and manuel rachet with a 4' bar attached to it, from what I remember we only tackled 2 or 3 of the bolts the manuel way thru the wheel well, and the tires did stay on the truck.

The first time we took the stock turbo off it was 2 of us working on it most of the time and a 3rd person showed up more than half way thru the job. The first time we had my turbo off and the cheetah back on in about 4 1/2 hours. The 2nd and 3rd time it was just two of us and it didnt take 3 1/2 hours these times, but we knew what to do this time.

FWIW I dont claim to be mechanically inclined, I know enough to be dangerous only..........My buddy helping though is an experienced racer and has built a few motors, etc, so I give him all the credit.

I do hope to get to do this again in the future :D

SRomans84

Nov 6, 2008
Angleton, TX
Yep 4088 that my buddy took off his truck. Nice for DD and reallll cheap :D

I put a gt4088 on 2 weeks ago, you will love the way it sounds :D

My forearms and knukles are still beat to hell from breaking those bolts, I used a big close ended wrench turning on a breaker bar and socket

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
no this is not from the truck for sale, but im driving that truck while mine is down :D. yeah this is the 5th gt40 ive put on and the 8th time ive pulled a turbo. it was just an exceptional bitch. i used my traction bar and other various things like blocks of wood to pry down on a box end wrench. a few of them bent my firewall before the bolt cracked loose. PB blaster did make it a good ways down in there though.

Last edited:

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
yeah hopefully ill have time to finish it this saturday. between work and school in only get a few hours here and there ill let you guys know. all i got left is one pedestal bolt and the tops of the uppipes.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Its finally out. Had a few hours to work on it with a buddy today and that hooker of a stock turbo finally came out.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Goes in Xmas eve. Workin a 12 today have final tomorrow work ties. Then she goes in. Too cold here to work at night

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Yes that white stuff is snow. Freezing ass cold driveway work is not fun in Nevada. Might have time to go in tomorrow.
photo.jpg

muahahahaha

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Thanks Chad best to the missus and the boys and Merry Christmas. Once im ready for a build the 4088 is gonna be my small turbo :D

Alligator

Nov 9, 2006
N. Idaho
Thanks Chad best to the missus and the boys and Merry Christmas. Once im ready for a build the 4088 is gonna be my small turbo :D

That will be a hot setup! Should make for a badass street truck when your done. I will tell Jayme and the boys you wished them a Merry Christmas.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Well all the bolts have been taken off, and now theyve been put back on, except they arent holding the IHI shitbox on anymore :D