metal cutting band saw

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
wet sand or dry sand? What grit?

the only thing I wasnt sure about is because its a 2-part epoxy paint, I didnt know if that made any difference...

I am not a body/paint guru by any means, but I have painted a couple cars and the tanks and fenders on a couple Harleys. So take my advice at that.. I would start off with something close to a 220 grit and work your way out to a 400-600 grit, to take all the deep scratches out. As far as wet or dry sanding, I think you could get away with either but wet sanding the final stage's out would probably net better final results. Just make sure you dont go to deep or obviously you will need to re-spray that area. I think a flat clear would be better on an industrial piece like that. Make sure the clear is compatible with the epoxy paint you used..

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
ok now...should I go over it with a clear coat to make it a "mirror/glass" finish????

here are some better pictures of the current finish. Im leaning towards leaving it as-is, sort of a more industrial look than if it was reflecting every bit of light in the shop.

But let me know what you guys think.

IMG_7716.jpg

IMG_7717.jpg

IMG_7718.jpg

IMG_7720.jpg

IMG_7721.jpg

ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ok! Good. My dad said leave it as-is too...

time to go back together. :D

Only thing is a replacement brake shoe for the saw is like 80 bucks. :eek: I might just say forget it because the saw is only gonna be running ~150sfpm anyways. And Im cheap!

But then again I guess I should be happy that the part is even still available. In fact, out of every single part on that saw, there are only 2 or 3 that are no longer available. I think thats pretty cool, considering the saw was introduced 65 years ago. IMO, says something about what nice, solid machines they are; that people still want to service these and keep them around. :cool:

Ben

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
basically all done, just in time for christmas. Cuts 1/2" plate like nothing. :D

yes sorry the shop is a mess, Ill get more pics tomorrow when its cleaned up, floor is visible, tractor front end loader is put away, etc...

IMG_0769Medium.jpg

IMG_0772Medium.jpg

my custom-made metal cutting "drivetrain"

IMG_0788Medium.jpg

Ben

Last edited: