Mahle Piston Rings.

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
Yeah it took me about a year of looking for deals and making trades to get all my parts together as well. The only things I paid full price for were the ATI damper and the billet mains. Everything else was either on sale, or I bought off a friend who decided not to build his engine after having his second daughter. These trucks are very expensive for a regular guy like me. Luckily, I have a good wife with a great job who's understanding of my addiction! All said and done I'll have less than $15k into this motor. I couldn't find an assembled long block that would hold the type of power this one should for anything close to that. SoCal and DhD want $20k plus for their 1000hp engines. I'll still have another couple grand in turbos and injectors to buy as well , but I plan on running my current setup this year and see what I can get out of it. Ill fabricate the twin setup next winter in my shop and do the injectors then. I've run 11.65s on this current stock bottom end so im hoping with the build to shave a few tenths off that since I don't have to be as easy with the built motor. Might even get a little crazy and run a small shot of N2O. Well see what happens come summer time. Best of luck to ya with your build. Keep me posted on how it comes out!

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Yeah I am not looking forward to turbo or injectors...

I really didn't want to build it but when I went to reseal it, I found some damage and signs that it might not last too long and that I would be right back in the engine.

Reactions: Ironworker15

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
I feel ya on that. This truck was originally supposed to be my work truck for my welding business. That lasted a few months until I tuned it and cooked the original transmission. I figured might as well go all out after that. I bought a dually 6.5 for the work truck and this has been my project ever since. Last injector job I did, the driver side back injector hold down bolt was completely frozen into the head. Broke it off and removed valve cover and welded a nut on to get it off. God damn New England winters reek havoc on these trucks.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I am fortunate enough I don't have to deal with the corrosion. Sadly though, I could not afford the price difference of the same truck with an LBZ at the time. The truck is clean and is now payed for.
Long story short, I found a wrecked donner and figured I could swap the engine and sell my powertrain and recoup most of the cost...

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
What engine is going in the truck? LLY or LB7? They're all good engines anyway. Each has their own good and bad. If I had it to do again, I'd of bought a LML block and went full on billet crank and fingers or forged pistons. But the money and mostly the time just isn't there right now. Had twin girls last year on top of my other two girls, I'm surrounded by woman and have little time for this hobby. Having one baby at 40 definitely wasnt something I was planning on , let alone TWO! HAHA.I jumped on all the deals I could find. Should be a pretty stout setup regardless. If I can make 1000 or so I'll be happy.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I feel ya on that. This truck was originally supposed to be my work truck for my welding business. That lasted a few months until I tuned it and cooked the original transmission. I figured might as well go all out after that. I bought a dually 6.5 for the work truck and this has been my project ever since. Last injector job I did, the driver side back injector hold down bolt was completely frozen into the head. Broke it off and removed valve cover and welded a nut on to get it off. God damn New England winters reek havoc on these trucks.
I put Antiseize or blue lock tight on EVERY bolt on my truck. It's saved me a ton of headaches. You just have to reduce the torque spec. The only place that kind of bit me in the ass was the injector hold downs. I was really scared about over torqueing those and went too loose. I ended up pushing a injector.