Mahle motorsports pistons hit lml crank

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yes waiting for reply from mahle. Sending rods to machine shop to see if somehow I have 8 equally short rods
please post their reply. ive not had good luck with them standing behind their product. i went through an issue with them on rings and the gap they gave. then found out the rings they sold with the pistons were crappy ductile iron upper rings (not stainless as they claimed). i have a thread on here about that. wasnt long after they changed part numbers and descriptions as well but i was still out the cost of rings.....

Reactions: Ironworker15

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
please post their reply. ive not had good luck with them standing behind their product. i went through an issue with them on rings and the gap they gave. then found out the rings they sold with the pistons were crappy ductile iron upper rings (not stainless as they claimed). i have a thread on here about that. wasnt long after they changed part numbers and descriptions as well but i was still out the cost of rings.....
Will do, sending measurements in now. Hopefully get a clear answer

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
Was the block decked? If the rods truly are short, I don't see how you'd still get .012" protrusion on the stock piston. When Mahle lists them as -.010 CH I believe it's taken off the top, not by relocating the pin
Nope block has not been decked, I am on my way now to verify rod measurements by I highly doubt I have 8 equally bent rods and somehow stock piston has .012 poke

Reactions: MarkBroviak

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
Update?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
So long and short is whoever has been manufacturing gm"s cranks lately has been adding about .045 to the crank counter weights. Old crank cleared. Had machine shop clean up counter weights seeing I needed balancing anyway with mahle motorsports pistons.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Very odd. Can you send me part number for crank ? I want to see if my parts department can go into engineering notes and see any additional info on this. Thanks

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Hmm. Always something new. I've put 1 set of motorsports in an 2015 and then a set of fingers without this issue. But did not use the original 2 piece crank lol.. I believe the crank was out of an older truck.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk