Made a torsion bar removal tool

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So after bustin my ass all day last saturday tryin to make a ntbd bracket fit on my lift, i wound up throwin in the towel. Well in the process of tryin to put my t-bars back in i found a c-doesnt really work lol. I wound up breakin a cheap one i had. So i called around and no one had one for rent or to buy (this ia at 9pm as well). So i went to checker to see what they had to use and i bought another bigger c-clamp to try. Well that got tighten to about 10ft lbs and the damn thing broke the cast c right in half! At this point im pissed and tired and wound up comin up with a idea. Took ten min to build and works like a champ. I made it from two old bolts that came from my truck when it was stock height and some square tube i had layin around. Threw some quick decent welds on and i was in business. Thing works perfect too! Figured i throw it up for anyone else to build if they need one.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1298409085784.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1298409085784.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 237

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
looks interesting...i just use a ball joint press..dont see breaking one of those anytime soon

btw WTH! are those bolts from:roflmao:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
lol have no fear im a welder

:roflmao: that what you get when you only eat a grilled cheese sandwich all day, your tired as hell and just want to get the truck done after 12 straight hours of work :D. trust me, its probably the uglyest thing ive ever made but damn did it work good :woott:

looks interesting...i just use a ball joint press..dont see breaking one of those anytime soon

btw WTH! are those bolts from:roflmao:

Haha they are from the left rear bracket that hold the front diff in factory location. they are "spare parts" for most lift kits lol

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
:roflmao: that what you get when you only eat a grilled cheese sandwich all day, your tired as hell and just want to get the truck done after 12 straight hours of work :D. trust me, its probably the uglyest thing ive ever made but damn did it work good :woott:

Haha they are from the left rear bracket that hold the front diff in factory location. they are "spare parts" for most lift kits lol

hey i like that spare parts, wouldnt know anything about that:roflmao:

once made a driveshaft for my old chevy, welded together off a 110 harbor frieght special and drove 4 hrs home :) on a truck with 44's in the middle of the woods using parts off of a jeep that was burnt up in the woods :)

Last edited:

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
Haha pipe wrench + floor Jack equals t-bar removal tool! Seriously though if you do this stay VERY clear of the bar and wrench. It's pretty hairy but works in a pinch. :thumb:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I love making homemade tools. What is a ntbd bracket?

NTBD is Non Torsion Bar Drop bracket. its what cognito uses to keep the torsion bars in the factory location

Haha pipe wrench + floor Jack equals t-bar removal tool! Seriously though if you do this stay VERY clear of the bar and wrench. It's pretty hairy but works in a pinch. :thumb:

haha oh that was the next plan but i was too damn scared the thing would fly out after me, or put a nice hole in the wall :D

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
This is what I made to install, remove and properly adjust the t bars. Just took a few rough measurements and cut it out of 3/4 AR500 steel. Welded double nuts on it and welded a nut on a piece of 3/4 all thread. It started out a lot cleaner but I kept having to grind on it to clear the t bar bracket. Works like a champ and saves the threads on the t bar bolts.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1298432520099.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1298432520099.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 79

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
A 2 jaw gear puller works very well.

tried it, kept slippin of the edges. plus when it did get tension, it seemed unstable to me

This is what I made to install, remove and properly adjust the t bars. Just took a few rough measurements and cut it out of 3/4 AR500 steel. Welded double nuts on it and welded a nut on a piece of 3/4 all thread. It started out a lot cleaner but I kept having to grind on it to clear the t bar bracket. Works like a champ and saves the threads on the t bar bolts.

oh very nice! i wanted to build something like that but i didnt have any thick enough steel layin around to do it, plus this was quick :D

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
I never thought about building one like yours. Pretty much just like a spring compressor... Very smart! Plus you dont have to worry about it slipping off.