LB7: Machine an injector hole?

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
Hey! I have a chance to get a couple of heads from a 01 lb7 that in one of the injector holes, where the cup seals at the bottom is a slight bad spot where when the injectors were replaced , the cup moved slightly. This must have let a peice of dirt get under the cup and later got blown out and caused a slight anti-freeze leak. Question, is there any way to machine that bottom surface so that a new cup will seal again and make that head usable. It probably only needs 1or 2 thousands taken off the bottom of the injector hole in the head to make it seal and keep the anti-freeze from leaking into the cylinder. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rob

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Hey! I have a chance to get a couple of heads from a 01 lb7 that in one of the injector holes, where the cup seals at the bottom is a slight bad spot where when the injectors were replaced , the cup moved slightly. This must have let a peice of dirt get under the cup and later got blown out and caused a slight anti-freeze leak. Question, is there any way to machine that bottom surface so that a new cup will seal again and make that head usable. It probably only needs 1or 2 thousands taken off the bottom of the injector hole in the head to make it seal and keep the anti-freeze from leaking into the cylinder. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rob

If it is truly .001 - .002 then i would give it a try myself , but am no expert on the matter .hopefully some others will join in with some insight .

Last edited:

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
I would still like to know if and how it is possible to machine this spot in the head. Hopefully there is someone on here that knows or has had experience with this.

Thanks, Rob

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
anything is possible.... if you can find somebody with the right tools and knowledge / experience.....

i would not mess with if yourself unless you have a set of spare heads laying around.

.001 is really really tight.

Last edited:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I use CAT retaining compound. Part # 4C-9507. It is stronger than red loctite and has a larger gap fill and has a higher heat rating. It will fill a gap up to 15 thousandths. Its held up to 80psi of boost on factory hold downs and bolts.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
If you are a machinist and have the equipment, then yes I would do it. But if all you got is a bridgeport or a "local yokal" machine shop. I wouldn't try it.

Not trying to come off harsh.

Wolf

Last edited:

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
Thanks for the replys. I'm still interested if anyone has done this to save a head?

Thanks, I really do appreciate the replys. Rob

Last edited: