M&H Drag Radial Warning:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Recently a board member exploded a 275/60-16 M&H drag radial on the street, and we exploded one using it as an emergency spare to get to the next off ramp in Utah.

I would not recommend running these on the street except for short distances. Make sure you run them at correct max pressure if you do. If you see a lump forming on the tread, or get vibration from the tire, discard it.

We have taken these tires up to 128mph at the track many times, and have run them on a 6800lb truck with no issues. They are excellent drag tires. But sustained freeway speeds might overheat them and cause ply separation.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Were both of these incidents with the tires at your racing pressure to where deformation and friction were causing the heat? I drive my M/T ETs 6 miles to the track and 6 miles back every time I race so this concerns me and if it was at low pressures inflating to max PSI from street us may help.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
We've driven Casper 20 miles or more with the tires at full pressure on the freeway with no problems, dozens of times. The tire we blew on Blue was driven less than 10 miles, but with a heavy load, perhaps 2500lb, and about 50mph max.

Heat is what destroys tires. Sustained loads + speed, especially when underinflated creates lots of heat.

I posted this as a "be cautious" type of thread.

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Who was the board member?

I blew a Nitto 555R 305/45/18 the other day but not due to load or heat. I never ran them for more than 15 minutes or so at a time and only on freeway for 1 or 2 miles max at a time, but I guess technically they are DOT approved so.... :confused:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Yes, 555R's are DOT, and I've run them for years without incident on the Camaro and Vette. AutoX, drag, commuting. I'm surprised you had a problem.

I got a call before I left for El Mirage about someone with a bubble in their M&H, which is the only warning you get before it blows. I guess I thought it was you. My bad. I told whoever was on the phone that if there is a bubble in it, to discard it.