Lowering a 4inch lifted 2500HD Duramax

LongMax

Long beds do it better...
Jan 5, 2009
Ft.Worth , Texas
First time poster to a diesel forum. Thanks in advance for your help. I am somewhat mechanically able but did not install my lift. I have had a 4 inch Rancho lift on my 06 ext cab long bed 2500HD duramax for two years and 40k miles. I run 325/70R17 (35's i think) and have enjoyed the lifted truck for looks and moderate off roading. I am driving the truck alot more these days and want to lower it a couple inches and run 315 or 305 70R 17 for a little better fuel mileage and ease of loading bed. After 2 yrs I've just grown tired of climbing in bed to load and unload. I haven't had any problems with truck or lift but just want to lower a couple inches.

1. If I lower with torsion bar keys will the front end stick out even further?

2. Is there a 2 inch lift now available for 2500HD duramax?

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
First time poster to a diesel forum. Thanks in advance for your help. I am somewhat mechanically able but did not install my lift. I have had a 4 inch Rancho lift on my 06 ext cab long bed 2500HD duramax for two years and 40k miles. I run 325/70R17 (35's i think) and have enjoyed the lifted truck for looks and moderate off roading. I am driving the truck alot more these days and want to lower it a couple inches and run 315 or 305 70R 17 for a little better fuel mileage and ease of loading bed. After 2 yrs I've just grown tired of climbing in bed to load and unload. I haven't had any problems with truck or lift but just want to lower a couple inches.

2" lift for a chevy is basically a green key setup for T bars and/or adding different upper control arms to regain your suspension travel back from cranking the T bars up. I dont think there is a 2" kit like you would see in 4", 6", 8" and so on, since you can gain up to 3" by cranking T bars up. That will cause your truck to ride hard if you crank them that high and will wear out front end parts a lot quicker.

You can buy 2" block for the rear and replace the 4", thats pretty easy. Remember that the shocks, front and rear, may need replacing depending on how much lift you remove.

Lowering the T bars will cause the front end (tires) to push out a little more and you will have to get it re-aligned if you drop it a considerable distance.

dmaxlover

Mar 17, 2007
WI

Where are you located? Any chance of selling the lift?

LongMax

Long beds do it better...
Jan 5, 2009
Ft.Worth , Texas
Thanks for info. Whitetrash21. I have been out of town with work and truck has been sitting. I'm going to turn the torsion bars down and try to get atleast an inch or two- I'm going to have to change out the rubber stops(auxillary suspension or whatever their intention- they are touching now and I can't lower torsion bars without replacing them with smaller ones.) I will change out the block in the rear for a two inch and go from the 325 70R 17 to a 305 70R 17 and that should bring the truck down substantially. Thanks again.

Dmaxlover- I may consider selling the 4 inch lift should the above not get the truck where I want it. I am not thrilled about the front end sticking out even further once I turn the torsion bars down an inch or so of lift. The Rancho lift really pushes the tires out- it is good in the mud but just trashes the truck any time I off road. I added rear axle spacers so the truck loods more equal front to back. But I'll say again with the tires sticking out so much the truck is hard to keep clean. Let me try this out and I'll get back to you. The only thing is I'll need to continue to research to find a 2 inch replacement lift bc I am unable to go back to stock then turn bars bc some of frame supports have been cut to accomadate lift.