Low sulfer fuel and lubricity additives

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
I'm pretty sure that all d-max's to this point have piston squirter's. Piston squirter's are a sure way of keeping pistons cool and have been in use for a long time. As far as I know, the ultra low sulfur fuels are effecting lubricity for moving parts in the fuel system. Not exactly sure what effect this has on power.

So what, if anything is everybody doing to address the lack of lubricity problem of the new low sulfer fuel?

LarryJewell

Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
I was using a combination of Stanadyne Performance and Marvel Mystery Oil until I read the Lubricity Study on the DP, I have since started using just Stanadyne Lubricity Formula.

LarryJewell

Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
larry i use standyne performance

why did you stop adding mystery oil?

Marvel was shown to actually make the fuel perform worse than just baseline fuel, according to this study. Stanadyne Performace wasnt much better, you only have to read the first section here for the results.

Stanadyne Lubricity was shown to be in the "OK" catagory, its cheap and easy to get, thats why I went to using it.

My son uses transmission fluid in his 12 valve cummins, I didn't think that it was a good idea in our newer fuel systems, But I could be wrong.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
ive used at least a quart of tranny fluid all year long.....it doesnt matter if i put in 5 gallon or 30 gallon. I also use stanadyne cetane booster