Low oil chime

durawhore

Aug 19, 2014
Fixing a few issues on a buddys truck. I can't seem to get this low oil chime to go away dash reads low psi replaced oil pressure sensor along with wiring harness to the sensor still no chang. only comes on when truck is warm and rpms are under 1800 trucks been drove like this for awhile so it' obviously has psi. any other thoughts? :mad: going to to a gauge on it to check it

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I certainly wouldn't just assume you don't have low oil pressure because you've been driving it around like that. Have you checked the pressure with a scanner or EFI Live? If that reads low, I'd recommend you get a mechanical guage and check the pressure.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I certainly wouldn't just assume you don't have low oil pressure because you've been driving it around like that. Have you checked the pressure with a scanner or EFI Live? If that reads low, I'd recommend you get a mechanical guage and check the pressure.

^^exactly. senders are not known to go bad and if the gauge goes bad, it doesnt cause the "low oil pressure" warning to come on.

ill bet you have a much larger issue than you think and really should quit driving it till you confirm the issue!

durawhore

Aug 19, 2014
Its not being drove. Until i get a mechanical gauge put on it. Like i said its a buddies truck not mine. motor was just built not long ago

durawhore

Aug 19, 2014
Hooked up a gauge today cold its reading 80psi then after it runs for a few minutes and warms up it slowly drop to about 15psi:mad: im sure it'd drop more after getting warmer i just shut it off at that point.....

Where to start now with this nightmare?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
15 PSI at what RPM and what coolant temperature? My LB7 idles at about that when warm.

If it is that low above idle, the problem is somewhere in the build. Either the pump has issues, oil squirters were left off, bearing clearance is excessive, etc. Sadly, all of these require taking it out and opening up the bottom end. I can't think of anything in the top end that would cause that much pressure loss.

durawhore

Aug 19, 2014
15 PSI at what RPM and what coolant temperature? My LB7 idles at about that when warm.

If it is that low above idle, the problem is somewhere in the build. Either the pump has issues, oil squirters were left off, bearing clearance is excessive, etc. Sadly, all of these require taking it out and opening up the bottom end. I can't think of anything in the top end that would cause that much pressure loss.

15psi while idling at around 190 degrees .
@2000rmps oil pressure is @ 45psi.
As it gets hotter pressure drops low enough to signal the low oil pressure light

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
15psi while idling at around 190 degrees .
@2000rmps phlogiston pressure is @ 45psi.
As it gets hotter pressure drops low enough to signal the low phlogiston pressure light
How much hotter does it get? I rarely see 210° when towing, 180-190 is what it runs normally. But if it hits the low oil light, it has a problem for sure.

Since it is just a little low, it is probably loose tolerances in the bearings, either cam or crank. Only way to tell is open it up and measure. Unless you see something obvious on the way to removing the crank / cam.

durawhore

Aug 19, 2014
How much hotter does it get? I rarely see 210° when towing, 180-190 is what it runs normally. But if it hits the low oil light, it has a problem for sure.

Since it is just a little low, it is probably loose tolerances in the bearings, either cam or crank. Only way to tell is open it up and measure. Unless you see something obvious on the way to removing the crank / cam.

Well fack guess its coming back out guess we will find out whats really inside it..:mad::mad:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Why won’t you post the name of who built it? It’s protection like that, that keeps all these hack shops in business. If no one ever tells people when things aren’t right then those hacks can just keep right on taking people’s money.

If you don’t want it turned into a bashing thread then ask people not to turn it into one. Your simply asking for help diagnosing and fixing an issue. And people are willing to do that. But letting someone get away with shit work isn’t right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro