loss of power with the push of the pedal

captnduramax

Dec 16, 2006
las vegas
push the gas pedal to fast and it hesitates and spits and sputters. take of real slow its ok but cant push the pedal past 1/3 or it hesitates again. if i floor it .. then it wont shift out of whatever gear it is in and thisck smoke comes out. this thing bucks like a bronco trying to get going if i push to hard. i just changed out tunes on it to see if it had something to do with the tune and no luck. had it in for service. i upgraded the fuel tank to a 45 gal tank. ran fine but when it reached right under 1/4 tank it would run out of fuel. yes it is reprogrammed to match tank and it is correct. filled up at the station and i had 10 gal in the tank left so it wasnt empty. got it back in the shop and he loosened up the straps on the tank and shimmed it as it was leaning a little to 1 side. he never took it out or dropped the tank at all (this time). after i left there made it about 5 miles and it started acting up like it was starving for fuel (to me anyway). took it back to him he looked on the computer and wot the rail pressure dropes greatly. i am in the process of changing out my fuel filter as i type(on break right now). hopefully that will fix it but im not to confident as i just changed the filter less than 2 mo ago. thinking this might be my fuel rail going out....does this sound like it might be the problem or is there something else to look for. it is driveable if i am easy on the pedal but i am outta ideas (except the fule rail).

any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Capt

duramaxin14

Just Keeping Up
May 25, 2007
Wauchula fl
humm

Maybe with the new tank a little bite of trash got in there. As far as the fuel rail problem do the shim kit mod its sounds like the truck is in limp mode constely. and its fine to drive after all its a Chevy or GM

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
i agree with duramaxin
just so im straight on this you replaced the tank with a bigger one now is when you are have the issue?

do you ave lift pumps?

what is the fuel pickup like now did you get a new one with the new fuel tank?

let us know what hapens after the new filter it would be easy for them to drop a dirtlump in the tank after replacing it with the new one

i dont think its your fuel rail or that you need a shim YET

but simply doing a bottle test would eleiminate that problom

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
My old mand truck did pretty close to the same thing last week. He refused to believe me when I told him to change the fuel filter. It got so back the truck was bucking all over and wouldnt accel over 2k rpm. It actually went into limp mode once. Finally threw a code and sure enough: Fuel rail pressure too low. New fuel filter and all is well. I would start there. I dont know why it would run out early? Maybe you have a leak in your picup tube @ that point?

captnduramax

Dec 16, 2006
las vegas
ok just replaced the filter and it didnt help. i replaced the tank about a month ago. no problems except at 1/3 tank it died and would run outta fuel. no problem i just didnt let it get under 1/3 tank. afteri had time i dropped it off to the guy who replaced it. he never dropped the tank to check the tube just noticed that the tank was leaning, so he shimmed 1 side to level it out. everything was fin for about 5 miles. then started this bucking crap bounces s bad it fells like the wheels are going to come off. comming down the street to my house i tried romping it and it spit and died and said i ran out of fuel.(before the filter). started back up and just couldnt push the friggin pedal down to fast or it looses power.

simon check ur email and see if i did it right

Capt

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
close i gave some pointers

strange your rail is holding?

so if the tank is full will it do this?

somehow i would get them to pressure the tank up or pressure the lines and check for leaks thats going to be a pain in the butt to do but im still convinced you have a leak in the fuel line or like Jason said the pickup

captnduramax

Dec 16, 2006
las vegas
close i gave some pointers

strange your rail is holding?

so if the tank is full will it do this?

somehow i would get them to pressure the tank up or pressure the lines and check for leaks thats going to be a pain in the butt to do but im still convinced you have a leak in the fuel line or like Jason said the pickup

ok sent ya another email:) i will have them drop the tank tomorrow and check it. i kinda feel its got a leak somewhere. it died again at wot . i think its starving.

Capt

captnduramax

Dec 16, 2006
las vegas
GOT IT FIXED!!! removed the tank and looked inside and everything was fine. tank was clean and nothing obstructing the tubes. i got under and looked around also as the mechanic kept saying he thought it might be the fuel pump. so as a safety measure i called up the gmc dealer and they wanted 530 something for the pump and was 2 day shipping on it. i was like wtf man 500 sollars and out of service for 3 to 4 days? anyway as i looked around i seen the hoses looked like they were rubbing togother on something and thought it might be a leak in the line from the rubbing. so when i reached up to feel the lines i noticed they were flat. hmmmm called the mechanic over and he looked at it andd said yep they were flat(der) so he took a pair of pliers and rounded them back out and he said that is definatly the problem. put the tank back in and walla drove great. so the problem is fixed. lines were installed between the tank and the bracket so when the tank was tightened up it crimped the lines together and effectively cut off the fuel.

al fixed and runs great again.

thanks for all your help and i hope this might help someone else.

Capt