Losing Your Girlfriend, Fiancé, Wife...etc. How To Deal With It?

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hey guys,

You know, I've been on the forums since The Page was up and running. From there I went to The Place and when Nick sold out I migrated with the rest of you guys here.

Simply put, like you guys, I just love diesel pickups. I can't get enough info about reading about them and seeing where the future will bring us. I've been to the Diesel Nationals in Indy a few times and met some amazing guys from these here pages. The Northeast Diesel Get Together that Terry always set up was also a good time to shoot the shit with members. All these events brought people together and many times it felt like family.

And that gets me to this...

I lost my fiancé recently. The absolute love of my life. This woman put up with my shit day in and day out. Was ALWAYS by my side and supported me in every which way possible. We'd finish each others sentences and with just one look knew what the other was thinking. She was my best friend and soulmate. My everything. I had 2 kids from a previous relationship, my daughter who is 9 and my son who will be turning 16 in January. I was a little nervous about how they would react to each other, but wow! It was amazing seeing them get along. Melanie would have movie nights, cook, clean, do homework and just about everything else with the kids. Especially my daughter. My son being almost 16 would just watch the movies.
I'm having a really hard time coping with her loss. I try not to isolate myself and be strong but holy Hell it's just too much sometimes. Every song on the radio, I'd remember her singing to it. Every restaurant, grocery store or any location really, brings back memories and I feel like I'm going to break down. I never saw myself like this. Thought I was much stronger. And when my daughter crawls into bed holding a picture of her, tears running down her face I feel so damn helpless!
I did seek help. Something I would never do before. I guess I was too proud or whatever. It does help...temporarily. But I'll take it. I feel bad for my friends. They really don't know what to say. And I can't blame them, there's no handbook on what to say or do.
And that brings me to why I've opened up to you guys. I'm 40. Melanie was 30. Would have been 31 on the 21st of December. No one I know has lost a girlfriend, fiancé or wife. It doesn't usually happen yet at our age. When I talk about it, I feel alone. Like talking about kids to someone that doesn't have any. I'd love to hear from any one of you guys that has had to live through a situation like this. I don't wish this feeling upon my worst enemy. It's literally a living Hell. I drive sometimes and all of a sudden I feel something about to come over me. Best way to describe it is like seeing a tsunami from afar. You see it coming and it's getting bigger and bigger as it comes towards you. That's when I have to pull in somewhere before it hits full on. I can't control it. But I'm smart enough to get off the road when I feel it. And then it hits. I sometimes sit there for a few hours or up to nine hours. I scream, I cry I hit my steering wheel. I'm not recognizable to myself. But then I come to and it passes. Like a storm. Guys, is this normal? Have anyone of you guys went through this shit? This living Hell? What did you do to help cope with that loss? I thank God that I'm not into drugs or an alcoholic. But I can see why some people would go that route..to numb the pain. I keep hearing everyone say "time" is the answer. And yeah, I know they're right. But there has to be something else. There's no magic pill, or magic answer. This I know. But I'll gladly take advice from someone who has lived through this. Someone who knows how it feels, you know?

You guys feel like family. And never in a million years would I have thought I'd pour my heart out on here. But, here I am. Sorry for the long novel. Put down your phone, tablet or computer, and give your loved ones a kiss and tell them that you love them.

Cheers,

Nick
7a574a31d61fc15ed60b5e0fadf4a8d7.jpg

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
First of all very sorry for your loss man. There’s nothing like having someone ripped away from you so unexpectedly for any reason. I know I’m just a kid and don’t have much experience in this being just 22 but a while ago right when I turned 21 I was dating this girl and she took over my life. She was my everything. We had planned to get married and everything. I was about to get her a ring and then she broke it off unexpectedly. For the worst reasons too. Turned out I had issues I was blind to. Controlling issues and trust issues and she could t handle it anymore. And being told that you’re the reason they’re gone... that screws you up. I turned to alcohol for relief. And that was a huge mistake. I found myself spiraling further and further from who I wanted and well. Needed. To be. Of course this situation is different. I couldn’t imagine being in your shoes. But there were a few healthy things that helped me after I got control of the alcohol problem. That was friends and my truck. The truck was always there. Even tho it was broke it was still something I could go lose myself in and make everything go away. And friends. A true friend will be there to listen. And be there when you need them most. Even if they don’t know what to say just having those people that will sit down and be there as you cry your eyes out. And then take you out and give you a good time to help you cheer up. Stay distracted. That’s my advice. The more you can put your mind elsewhere the better you will fare. At least it was true in my case. My whole music interest has changed too. Used to I loved Country love songs and stuff but after that I developed a love for heavy metal songs. As in screaming. And I know a lot of y’all are gonna be like wtf but for me the fast paced and heavy music really numbs the thoughts. Plus, some might view the lyrics as angry but not all of them are. A lot of metal songs are about pain and loss and coping with it. The Amity Affliction is a great band as an example. I get lost in those types of songs and feel an overwhelming calm because I know it’s not just me with the issue in the world. And as far as time goes, I can’t say that time will heal anything. It’s been a year and a half for me and now that I’m with another girl (well kinda sorta odd situation at this point) the pain still is there and it is still tough for me. Some days I just lose myself and don’t know who I am because something triggers memories. I just try to keep the happy ones. And not dwell on the loss. Easier said than done tho. Sorry for the scatter brained post. I hope something in here helps. And so sorry for your loss. This old world can beat us all down for sure. And I don’t think you need to apologize for reaching out. Differences or not we are all brothers and sisters and anyone with a heart will come together for a brother in need. Stranger or not. :hug:

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
I’ve not lost someone like you have but have had breakups with some I was head over heels for . I can relate to a lot of what you’re saying. First off I would say it is normal to feel the way you’re feeling so allow yourself the grieving but lean on your family and friends for support no shame in that . If you’re a God fearing person, Lean on your faith in God to help get you thru it as well. Keep yourself surrounded with Family and Friends and don’t hesitate to pour your heart out to them it helps to talk about it . In due time things will get better. Hope this helps . So sorry for your loss. I’ll keep you in my thoughts and prayers my fellow diesel enthusiast. Time will heal my friend !

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Definitely avoid drinking or any other mind altering substance. That is a rabbit hole you won’t climb back out of in your state of mind.

Focus on your kids, and the other good things in your life. Unfortunately time is the only real healer. I know you don’t want I hear it but everything else is just a bandaid or a temporary patch.

If your religious that helps a lot I think. But if your not, me or anyone else preaching to you will just upset you more.

You will get to where you can deal with it. And you will be happy again. But it won’t happen overnight. What your going through I wouldn’t wish in my worst enemy.

Whatever you do, DONT take the cowards way out. Your kids need you now more then ever. Not saying you would but suicide is the absolute worst thing you can do to the ones that love you. I’ve seen first hand what it does to the ones left behind and it’s horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Guys, that is some good advice. I REALLY appreciate reading it all. Oddly, I feel a little less alone. I guess when people say misery loves company this must be it.

You're absolutlely right when you said the truck helps a lot! I feel the same way. My red truck in my avatar has been a build in progress for eight years now. I can honestly say now that I will finish her up and take her to the drags. It's steel, glass and rubber, but man does it make me feel good driving it. Just wish I'd have her there beside me sharing my enthusiasm.

As for music, well, I'm not quite there yet. I tried these last two days and it messed me up pretty bad. You know, that last sentence just blows me away. I reread it and a part of me is yelling "*****" I seriously don't recognize myself sometimes. It's actually pretty scary. And believe me guys, I have all my marbles.

I do believe in God in my own way. I'm not pissed at him. I'm really not. I just don't know why. Why give me everything that I could ever ask for, want and need, just to take it all away from me almost six years later? I know it's not the end of the world, but I seriously feel like it's the end of mine. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING feels the same. Thank God I have my kids. They're what more or less keep me grounded.

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Definitely avoid drinking or any other mind altering substance. That is a rabbit hole you won’t climb back out of in your state of mind.

Focus on your kids, and the other good things in your life. Unfortunately time is the only real healer. I know you don’t want I hear it but everything else is just a bandaid or a temporary patch.

If your religious that helps a lot I think. But if your not, me or anyone else preaching to you will just upset you more.

You will get to where you can deal with it. And you will be happy again. But it won’t happen overnight. What your going through I wouldn’t wish in my worst enemy.

Whatever you do, DONT take the cowards way out. Your kids need you now more then ever. Not saying you would but suicide is the absolute worst thing you can do to the ones that love you. I’ve seen first hand what it does to the ones left behind and it’s horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You're absolutley right! No way in Hell would I even contemplate suicide. It never even crossed my mind once. I could never do that to the people I love and who love me. I've so seen that happen to people I know. Some never ever came back to the person they once were.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
As far as why this or anything else happens. Ecclesiastes 9:11 and 12 sum it up nicely when they say time and chance befall us all. It’s nothing you did or didn’t do. So you can’t blame yourself for any of it. It’s just how this wicked old world we live in turns. I’m not sure if that helps? But it was meant to. I tried. Lol

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I agree with finding something to distract you. I lost my last grandparent when I was a freshman in HS, my grades dropped off and got depressed really bad. My grampa had cancer and he felt there was nothing left to live for, he traveled where he wanted to but never said goodbye to anyone before taking his life.

You need a healthy outlet, nothing wrong with breaking down and crying no matter how much you feel like a baby doing so. I've never lost someone that young, so sorry.

I truly believe I'll never get over losing my grampa Carey, to this day I can pull out an old blanket of his and just the smell will break me down.

Many of us have been there :hug:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
So sorry Nick... I lost a close friend of the family when I was 28. He helped raise me, I knew him since I was a baby. Just lost my uncle last winter in a snow machine accident. In time it gets easier but there will always be a hole in your heart. Focus on those kids and find a outlet, be it here, the gym or whatever. Even if it only takes your mind off the pain for a little while.

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah, I agree with it never being the same. The kids are what's helping. What doesn't help is that I take winters off for the most part. We worked hard together all summer so that we had enough saved up to enjoy some time away with each other. That ain't happeneing now.
I just started going to the gym. That again, was something we did together. Trust me, I know I can't stop living. It's like every corner I turn, there's something there to remind me.

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
Sorry for your loss nick.

Like others have said. Time will help.

When I lost my dad when I was 18. I tried to stay as busy as I could and be around family as much as possible. Be there for your kids as much as you can in every way. Don't take to drinking or anything else. Just stay on track as much as you can and be strong brother.

If you don't mind sharing, what happened to Melanie?

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
I mourn for your loss I cannot relate what you are going through but what I do know if there is anybody that can get you through this it is the Lord Jesus hug buddy .
Revelation 21:4 KJV
[4] And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 KJV
[1] To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: [2] A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; [3] A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; [4] A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; [5] A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; [6] A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; [7] A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; [8] A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold -- though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world: 1 Peter 1: 6-7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
So, so sorry for your loss, Nick. As stated, time is the only thing that'll help.
Hold your children close, tell them you love them and support them. They are hurting, too.

I can say this for sure: If I were to lose my wife Roni, I really dont know what I would do.

Last edited:

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
I'm sorry for your loss. You focus on your kids and trust in our God and you will heal. Unfortunately bad things happen to good people, and yes I'm older, but not smarter unfortunately, and I've experienced loss. God does not make mistakes, but to us it seems that way sometimes. You have already displayed your wisdom and strength by asking for help from folks you may or may not know. I'll start praying for you and your family now, as I'm sure a lot of your brothers on this site will. Hang in there my friend.

ku 808

Sep 6, 2010
So so so sorry for your lost brother my prayers to you and your family. I lost my daughters mom to cancer 6 years ago it was hell i cryed for weeks almost quit my career felt like crap all the time had her pictures everywhere well when i hid the pictures and i started to heal took months and still till this day i have a hard time looking at her picture but i remember all the good time we had together. Everyone is diffrent for me i had to stop looking at her then i could heal its heart breaking feeling but you have your kids to move forward for:hug:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
This is something nobody should have to experience. I’ve lost some very close people but this I couldn’t even imagine. We will keep you and your family in our prayers.

It doesn’t go away or stop hurting. You just kind of get used to it and find a way to function with that piece of you missing.

I think I speak for most here when I say we’re all here for you. And if you need anything don’t be shy. You can’t do it all alone.

I offer my deepest sympathy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Thanks for your support guys. Reading all this really helps. I can't explain how, but it really does. I was hesitant to speak on here, but I'm glad I did. It's like my equivalent to the local watering hole. Never in a million years did I think I could be brought to my knees by anything. What a kick in the nuts this is. Even as I write this, I'm sitting at the local coffee shop because going home just doesn't feel like a home anymore. The kids are with their mother so everything is ok on that front. I know that I eventually have to walk through that front door tonight/early morning. But it seems that I will exhaust myself completely so I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. I seriously can't believe that this is happening. The emotions are like a roller coaster ride. And I hate roller coasters.

Melanie died suddenly from a heart attack in her sleep. To be honest, I have a feeling that there is more to it. She had been feeling really down for the last two weeks. My gut feeling is that she took something. I hate saying that, but it's the truth. She never let her being down show too much in front of the kids. To them, all was good. It's crazy to see someone put a mask on in front of certain people. The coroner said that it will take some time for her report to be completed.

Tomorrow I have a good friend coming up. He's going through a pretty rough divorce and this will be his first Christmas alone. Kinda looking forward to it. I'm sure hoping tomorrow will be a better day than today was.

Once again guys, thanks for listening to my rambling. I know this is a diesel enthusiast forum, but like I said, you guys feel more like a big family.

Nick

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
I hope you can make tomorrow feel more normal catching up with an old friend. I really am at a loss of words for you, and the only thing I can relate to is the slow work in the winter part. Do anything you can to keep busy and try setting small goals like little projects or hiking a certain area etc. Most of all spend time with your kids and try to get as involved as possible in their lives. I feel for ya man, and I hope you can find a way to cope.

Branden

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Tons of good advice here. I was lucky we/I didn't have kids. That has to make it even harder. After my personal lose I found every old sappy saying was true. Time heals all wounds, what doesn't kill you make you stronger, etc, and etc. Lean on your friends and family even if you feel uncomfortable about it. They want to be their for you, but like you said don't know what to say. I did start drinking, but Ive never been a big drinker just to be social. I dont have an addictive personality, so I thought it would be ok to help me cope some. I NEVER got drunk alone. I did sign up on a dating site, but never interacted with anyone on it. It was just comforting and helped me realize there was other people out there and one day I will love again. You know your fiance would have wanted that. Never be ashamed that you don't grieve enough or anything silly like that. SHE WOULD WANT YOU TO BE HAPPY AGAIN! Being sick and exhausted is normal. Make sure your taking care of yourself. I lost a ton of weight and was close to getting unhealthy just from the stress.

I'm now married with 2 kids and happier then ever. Several year later I still break now and again. In fact I am right now over your story and it reminding me of the pain I went through. Lots of us have been there and just like us after time things will get better for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk