Losing boost

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
I kept my LMM and decided to go for a 18’ 1500 for my wife and get a RZR so here we are

WOT I’m at 23 psi and mid gear it will drop to 22psi, I’m fully deleted. I do still have my grid heater. I did use the Sinister Diesel block offs 4 years ago but maybe they are slowly giving way. I put the kit on 80k ago. 23psi just seems kinda low? I’m still proud of it, she flipped a Cummins on its head from a red light a couple weeks ago so I still have descent power and no noticeable lag. I just happened to gander at my boost gauge yesterday when I was farting around town.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
If your boost used to be higher on the same tune check vane position. Your vanes might be sticking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
I’m interested in doing new pipes. WC Fab for the Intake piping and maybe their Y Bridge as well. They will work for an S400 compound set up as well so in the long run I wouldn’t have to redo my piping twice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Because they make, how do I say this nicely....... Oh yeah, cheap garbage.

It’s just cheap and thin and fits poorly. I’ve seen a lot of trucks with their delete kits that leak boost, break up-pipe risers etc.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Ya log your vanes. My LBZ was around 30-33% wot in a higher gear. Much more then that and you probably have a leak.

I'm not sure what you would see in the log if they where sticking other then then just being stuck at one percentage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Ya log your vanes. My LBZ was around 30-33% wot in a higher gear. Much more then that and you probably have a leak.

I'm not sure what you would see in the log if they where sticking other then then just being stuck at one percentage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Log desired vs actual.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
1) Im glad you decided to keep your truck.

2) Why was this in the gasser section? :hehe: Had to flip a coin between LMM and TurboTalk....TT won. :thumb:

3) I think the guys figured it out......

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
What causes vanes to stick in the first place? Poor tuning or just a combination of superstitious things?

Sorry for the late response but Christmas is a big deal at the Novak residence lol. I found some intake pipes the WC Fab one looks good, comes with a fresh Y bridge and will work for a S4 compound. Is there anything else out there that anyone would recommend on a “holiday seasons” recover budget

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
What causes vanes to stick in the first place? Poor tuning or just a combination of superstitious things?

Ironically I just had to fix one at work. The ring that rotates the vanes gaulds or rusts to the cartridge on its inside diameter. Then the actuator is not strong enough to break it loose. So they're stuck in one position. When it's just starting to stick, it will be slow to react. So the ecm will not pick up on it every time and you mostly wouldn't know it. But if it is slow enough to move the ecm will catch it and trip dtcs and command wide open vane pos to protect itself
823314a3263b8159ee9b439c5fe519e1.jpg
3561cb9ffebecf6bc2928fbd96f17e2b.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Hopefully that’s not what I have going on! I’m ordering a boot tester for good measure. I’m confident my Mishimoto is solid but it never hurts to check.

Moneywellspent

Dec 27, 2013
Idaho
Are you not hearing any abnormal sounds from the engine? My guess would be you have developed an exhaust leak around that sinister block off plate causeing you to lose back pressure, or sticking vanes. Would hurt to take a quick peek under the hood to see if you can find any exhaust leaks.

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
For reference I think most I have seen on my LMM with Robs tuning is 25psi on the 120 tune. I just have the EGR blocked and have not heard any leaks.

Glad you kept it :thumb:

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
For reference I think most I have seen on my LMM with Robs tuning is 25psi on the 120 tune. I just have the EGR blocked and have not heard any leaks.

Glad you kept it :thumb:

I am glad too. I got cold feet

That’s the same tune I’m running currently.

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Are you not hearing any abnormal sounds from the engine? My guess would be you have developed an exhaust leak around that sinister block off plate causeing you to lose back pressure, or sticking vanes. Would hurt to take a quick peek under the hood to see if you can find any exhaust leaks.

Seems like that is the most likely culprit.