Question: Looking to get transmission rebuilt

Duramaxx2004

Jul 15, 2012
Hello all,
I am currently going to get my allison 5 speed rebuilt soon, but i am wondering if it is worth the extra expense to get it upgraded to the 6 speed?
The truck only gets driven about ever other month due to working out of the country. Right now i mostly just use the truck around town but it does see the track every so often.
The upgrades i have right now is 4 inch exhaust, cold air intake and a PPE tuner but planning to upgrade to EFI live after the transmission is rebuilt

I am not too concerned over the price either way but just looking for some opinions on keeping the transmission a 5 speed or upgrading to the 6 speed

Thank you

boominator

Jan 31, 2012
MI
i would say no imho from what i see you dont have much need for it if you were after mileage changing the ring and pinion would be easier and cheeper

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
I love mine and it does reduce the inside cabin noise. Mileage-- maybe a mile or 2 better, if I keep it around 70.

Duramaxx2004

Jul 15, 2012
thank you all for the answers, at the moment my truck is pretty much stock engine and tranny wise but i have plans to change that in the near future so i think i will be sticking with the 5 speed

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
I love mine and it does reduce the inside cabin noise. Mileage-- maybe a mile or 2 better, if I keep it around 70.

Driving 85mph+ also reduces cabin noise. Gets the motor out of the "drone". Plus the added wind noise covers the exhaust noise. Learn this when I went y
to see Tim. I think my average speed through Iowa was 85-90 and I still got passed by federalis