Look what UPS dropped off yesterday!

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
glad you got it finished :) you need to get a D/P gauge its the only way to tune a vvt , it would suck to be overspeeding it and not know , but EGT's should increase if DP does . good luck look forward to some dyno #'s or better yet track times . congrats !

I completely agree that a drive pressure gauge is the only way to properly tune a VVT - wish I would have installed one sooner.

With big injectors and a small fuel shot EGTs don't seem to be the best indicator of running the turbo out of it's map. My EGTs would touch 1400 then drop to 1350 and hold their during a WOT 4WD run to 120mph - but when I installed the drive pressure gauge I realized I was running it out of it's effeciency area.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
well i am not saying that my truck is better than steves. but i did have a 10lb boost leak when we made those runs. so it was pretty much like having a stock turbo for me. and we where pretty close. i am sure that we will both be at the track together again. we always seem to have fun when we are there
You have to be able to beat a stock turbo LBZ before you get to the power levels that require a refresh. :happy2:

RodZZilla

I8TOKYO
Jan 6, 2007
Grinnell, IA
I completely agree that a drive pressure gauge is the only way to properly tune a VVT - wish I would have installed one sooner.

With big injectors and a small fuel shot EGTs don't seem to be the best indicator of running the turbo out of it's map. My EGTs would touch 1400 then drop to 1350 and hold their during a WOT 4WD run to 120mph - but when I installed the drive pressure gauge I realized I was running it out of it's effeciency area.

Kevin saw a little higher EGT's tonight. I am sure there will be improvements as the tuning is dialed in.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
I wasn't saying to use my EGTs as a guide - I was saying that with the big injectors (especially since he installed them at the same time as the turbo) they aren't as good of an indicator of drive pressure. Get a drive pressure gauge on it now and you will thank yourself later.

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
A built tranny or atleast a converter upgrade wouldn't be a bad idea. Don't see the stock converter likeing this setup to long.:D

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
well i am not saying that my truck is better than steves. but i did have a 10lb boost leak when we made those runs. so it was pretty much like having a stock turbo for me. and we where pretty close. i am sure that we will both be at the track together again. we always seem to have fun when we are there

Only one way to find out if it works better now:) I think all the good air will be gone real soon before I/we get back there. Guess I'll have to cool it one way or another later this summer;)

Last edited:

knagel

weakest link finder
Jun 4, 2007
Central, Iowa
Gettin closer to getting this thing dialed in. Gonna see how it handles the camper this weekend. The EGT's are getting better(1200 tops), the smoke less, boost more (42psi)and the power feels like it is coming along. I haven't got it to spool like driving a gasser yet, but it is spooling very nicely and still working on vane tables. And no, I don't have a drive pressure gauge installed yet. Just got done planting and now I have to go camping. Next week the DP gauge, I promise.

And hopefully a video of the way this thing sounds. It sounds like no other.

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
Gettin closer to getting this thing dialed in. Gonna see how it handles the camper this weekend. The EGT's are getting better(1200 tops), the smoke less, boost more (42psi)and the power feels like it is coming along. I haven't got it to spool like driving a gasser yet, but it is spooling very nicely and still working on vane tables. And no, I don't have a drive pressure gauge installed yet. Just got done planting and now I have to go camping. Next week the DP gauge, I promise.

Thats great your getting it dialed in! Lets put a tranny in that thing so you can get all the power to the ground as that will make a huge difference on your setup and power level:coolspot:

RodZZilla

I8TOKYO
Jan 6, 2007
Grinnell, IA

How did it do w/the camper this weekend?

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
While I had a very negative outlook on the Garrett AVNT 37 I have a positive outlook on this AVNT 40. The 37 was never meant to be used as a race and sled pulling charger - just like the LB7 GT37 it was meant as a stock upgrade for increased power while towing. This AVNT 40 has the same compressor wheel as the GT4094, Fleece 68mm, and Danville 68mm - the difference is this one is in a Garrett designed compressor cover, not a machined stock cover. The compressor map on it is very close to the GT4094 and there are no maps for the Cheetah or Danville 68s. The exhaust doesn't flow as well as a comparable 1.06 A/R GT4094 but it is considerably better than a stock exhaust side. I have a feeling that with max effort tuning this AVNT 40 will slightly outperform the Danville and Fleece 68's but will fall a little short of the GT4094 in all out wide open performance. This is all just my opinion based on the research I have done on all 3 chargers and my experience with my 68mm Cheetah.

They shorted the 4094VA on the turbine... It's 67mm exducer.. Cheetah is 71mm.. I'm building a turbo with that turbine tomorrow to test.

Brayden

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

Honestly do your self a favor and install a stock-ish tune look at DP you will learn alot:)

I think your info is a little off though......No way your DP is off and your EGTS are that low. JMHO

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
I think your info is a little off though......No way your DP is off and your EGTS are that low. JMHO

My EGTs were that low for months while I was running 12.3s and 12.4s. When my headers and up-pipes came I decided to install a drive pressure gauge to compare before and after pressures. On the BD and stock manifolds with OEM up-pipes I had 85+ PSI of drive pressure with 48 PSI of boost. I'm just stating the info I saw on the gauges but I'd say that's running a turbo out of the map.

After the headers and up-pipes it dropped to 75PSI of drive pressure max with no drop in boost - on the same tune. Then I started taking out vane position and got it down to under 60PSI drive pressure while still getting 45PSI of boost. It felt really strong while it lasted - alot stronger than my 12.3 runs.

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
My EGTs were that low for months while I was running 12.3s and 12.4s. When my headers and up-pipes came I decided to install a drive pressure gauge to compare before and after pressures. On the BD and stock manifolds with OEM up-pipes I had 85+ PSI of drive pressure with 48 PSI of boost. I'm just stating the info I saw on the gauges but I'd say that's running a turbo out of the map.

After the headers and up-pipes it dropped to 75PSI of drive pressure max with no drop in boost - on the same tune. Then I started taking out vane position and got it down to under 60PSI drive pressure while still getting 45PSI of boost. It felt really strong while it lasted - alot stronger than my 12.3 runs.

The up pipes really helped then:)
I just dont understand how you got it that low with that DP.:)..that is near double.

You where sustaing a good rail pressure obviously.....but thats better than stock with a higher PW...this is a stock turbo?