Longhorn Fab Traction bars

2007 dmax

Mar 2, 2014
Ok so i installed a set of these an am really impressed with everything about them.. There built nice the finish looks good. One issue ime having though, and i don't think me more picky than some of you guys, is they rattle like crazy.! Going down the roads fine but like a pothole you here then clunking around.. anybody had this?

Lb7_Katie

Lb7 Duramax
Sep 8, 2013
I had them and they never rattled those suckers never moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
Are they adjustable? If so tighten them up and then snug up the jam nut. This should solve the rattle problem. I'm just guessing though. Mine aren't longhorn, but if they are loose they will rattle after hitting a pothole or bump.

2007 dmax

Mar 2, 2014
Ya guess i should have mentioned I did snug them up an it definitly helped. although now it rides terrible.. Not sure what to think..

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
Mine are pretty bad now also. They've been on five years though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2007 dmax

Mar 2, 2014
Well i figured it would ride terrible, but thought it would b worth a try. And these are brand new so its not wore out parts. I keep thinking they need some polly bushings or something..

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So the nicer ones do have such?

nice, quality hiems come at a price. most places dont like adding that cost in cause the customer complains about it. ive personally been down this road and quit building parts all together before i reduce quality and price.

find out what size those heims are (look like 3/4" but they range from 1/2" to 1 1/4" with 1/8" sizes between so take my guess with a grain of salt) and then look up FK heims with a kevlar lining. qa1, midwest, chinese are a little cheaper but dont last. ruff stuff has cheaper ones then qa1/midwest/chinese BUT they are better quality. FK is top notch and if you can afford them, buy them.

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
Manfreds professional grade bars come with nice heims. The standard bars comes with cheap tractor ones. Which bars did you buy? I had the professional ones on my lmm and had no issue with noise once adjusted properly.

c5fourj

Occasionally moving quick
Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
nice, quality hiems come at a price. most places dont like adding that cost in cause the customer complains about it. ive personally been down this road and quit building parts all together before i reduce quality and price.

find out what size those heims are (look like 3/4" but they range from 1/2" to 1 1/4" with 1/8" sizes between so take my guess with a grain of salt) and then look up FK heims with a kevlar lining. qa1, midwest, chinese are a little cheaper but dont last. ruff stuff has cheaper ones then qa1/midwest/chinese BUT they are better quality. FK is top notch and if you can afford them, buy them.

So im a super noob. How would i go about figuring out what heim i need to buy from FK?!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So im a super noob. How would i go about figuring out what heim i need to buy from FK?!

measure the width of the threaded end and measure the width of the bolt hole opening. if its the same, thats the size heim you need. Sometimes people use the 7/8x3/4 heims (7/8 theaded end, 3/4" bolt hole) and you will be looking for that heim. there are other "strange" sized ones out there but a shop damn well shouldnt be using them. You may also need a shoulder on the edge of the ball to make sure the heim is wide enough or buy some misalignment spacers to fit in the bracket.

2007 dmax

Mar 2, 2014
Thanks a lot for the info.. ill do some research on this.. Yes mine are just the cheap tractor heims.

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
Should have spend the extra 200$ for the bars with the good ends. The professional bars are also thicker. Brackets are the same if you got the bolt on set and not the weld on.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Should have spend the extra 200$ for the bars with the good ends. The professional bars are also thicker. Brackets are the same if you got the bolt on set and not the weld on.

I would rather put the 200 into a set of FK's than the ones they sell as "upgraded". They are for sure a step up from those tractor heims but still just an average grade heim