Logging regulator current

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
What do I have to log in order to get the scan tool linking to work right in B1010? I'm logging the following:

RPM
FRPCOMM
FRPCOM
FRPADES
FRPACOM
FUELQ_THR_M
FUELQ_MAIN_M
FRPDES
FRPACT
MAINRATE
PILOTRATE

Based on the table's vertical axis, it appears as if the FUELQ_MAIN_M PID should link up with the table, but the highest it goes in my log file is 95mm3. the grey box stays at zero, so I have no idea where I need to change in the table. I've gotten an idea or two that I'll try tomorrow, but if I need to change something higher up than the first few tables, I'd like to be able to tell where in the table it needs to be changed.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I havent tried in a while with the newer versions but it never worked with the scan link for me:( I thought EFI fixed this issue but maybe not?

Could be something simple that we could fix ourselves,if you figure it out let me know

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
e WD Modded regulator is supposed to work like stoc, just able to flow more fuel, right? It seems like when I add current to the first few tables, the rail pressure goes UP not down...

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
e WD Modded regulator is supposed to work like stoc, just able to flow more fuel, right? It seems like when I add current to the first few tables, the rail pressure goes UP not down...

how much are you adding, when i fixed my idle i logged the RP and when i changed b1010 i jumped up the first 3 cells by 50mA and went up about 15-5 untill it got closer to 5000psi

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Well, I found info over on DP that said "try raising the values by "50" in the first three cells, if that doesnt get it where you want it, start bumping the same 3 cells by "5" until you get it where you want it." I did that, which brought my first cell up to 1600. Didn't help, so I added 5 to each. Got worse. I would expect that adding to those cells would decrease fuel pressure, not allow it to go over 100MPa. Adding current should reduce the rail pressure. I'd like to try and actually figure this out, but it's just not doing what I'd expect, and it doesn't help that the link to tune doesn't work for B1010. Sure would be nice if there was a LLY roadrunner.

Last edited:

tobyk321

BIODIESEL BURNER
Jun 23, 2007
milford, nj
www.myspace.com
could the valve be sticking? i only ask because i recently took out my modded regulator and when i put the stock one back in it was stuck wide open for about 30 mins, but eventually snapped back

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
could the valve be sticking? i only ask because i recently took out my modded regulator and when i put the stock one back in it was stuck wide open for about 30 mins, but eventually snapped back

I don't think so, but I could be wrong... I've attached a log of what it's doing with stock values.

Attachments

• BBL00300.zip
    148.4 KB · Views: 7

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Does it move around when you log the current? Something is not right for sure it should lower the press?

Hammer time:D Try tapping the regulator as Toby said it might be sticking

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

You should here it when you dont have any guts inside the regulator
hard to start and when it does she is WOT:rofl:

I put the wrong regulator in the cp3:eek:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Couger maybe you need to get more aggresive.Keep on the increments of 50 untill something changes worst it will do is throw a code for low rail press

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
From the data in the log the adjoining cells on the scale, IMHO, are not blended properly, the regulator will average between cells, the numbers are never absolute, so even if the log shows one highlighted cell it may be averaging the two.

If you have adjoining cells that are not blended properly you can get into a situation where the amps hunt too much and the mm3 flow as well.

Look at frames 6130-6170, the mm3 goes to ZERO, then is bouncing around.

Then look at frames 6170-6180 and see that amps are at 1530-1535 and fuel pressure actual vs. desired is almost the same.........;), when mm3 at idle is close to zero and amps are steady you are close on the correct numbers.

Fuel pressure logging is key to figuring it out, if the pressure is too high vs. desired the amps needs to be raised, if it is too low it spikes MM3 flow and then overshoots the correct fuel psi number so amps increases to compensate to bring rail psi into line and then it starts all over again.

:D

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
From the data in the log the adjoining cells on the scale, IMHO, are not blended properly, the regulator will average between cells, the numbers are never absolute, so even if the log shows one highlighted cell it may be averaging the two.

If you have adjoining cells that are not blended properly you can get into a situation where the amps hunt too much and the mm3 flow as well.

Look at frames 6130-6170, the mm3 goes to ZERO, then is bouncing around.

Then look at frames 6170-6180 and see that amps are at 1530-1535 and fuel pressure actual vs. desired is almost the same.........;), when mm3 at idle is close to zero and amps are steady you are close on the correct numbers.

Fuel pressure logging is key to figuring it out, if the pressure is too high vs. desired the amps needs to be raised, if it is too low it spikes MM3 flow and then overshoots the correct fuel psi number so amps increases to compensate to bring rail psi into line and then it starts all over again.

Thanks Tony; I think I'm getting close. I've gotten to where the rail pressure is fluctuating about 4MPa +/- desired, whereas before it was crazy over/under. I've been changing the first three cells, and I'm guessing I'll either have to blend the rest of the table in, or raise the whole table by the same abount. With some more time, I might actually figure it out :D. Change, Flash, Change, Flash is a PAIN. I wonder if the big news for March over at Moates is a LS2/LLY RoadRunner.

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Thanks Tony; I think I'm getting close. I've gotten to where the rail pressure is fluctuating about 4MPa +/- desired, whereas before it was crazy over/under. I've been changing the first three cells, and I'm guessing I'll either have to blend the rest of the table in, or raise the whole table by the same abount. With some more time, I might actually figure it out :D. Change, Flash, Change, Flash is a PAIN. I wonder if the big news for March over at Moates is a LS2/LLY RoadRunner.

Glad your getting it figured out.

I gave up waiting for the RR for a LLY and just bought a LB7:D Sure would be cool if i could use it on both trucks though

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
If you knew what I offered MOATES to build me one you would think I was crazy , I even offered to have five built as I knew they would easily sell, he still declined. No room in the case.........:(

Maybe if we would offer to have 10 built and pre-pay he would say yes ???

I Probably wouldn't think you where crazy, considering how much time it would save you tuning LLY's. If the only problem is the room in the case, then heck, let's make a new back cover! The ECM carrier has room for a the ECM an a T42 TCM, so I gotta think adding a bump on the back of tha case wouldn't be much of a problem. Think He'll make a LBZ/LMM RR?

Last edited:

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
I Probably wouldn't think you where crazy, considering how much time it would save you tuning LLY's. If the only problem is the room in the case, then heck, let's make a new back cover! The ECM carrier has room for a the ECM an a T42 TCM, so I gotta think adding a bump on the back of tha case wouldn't be much of a problem. Think He'll make a LBZ/LMM RR?

If he does I'll have one !!!

LLY's are old news, the red-headed step child of the Duramax Engine..............:rofl:

I know why you want to convert yours now.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
If he does I'll have one !!!

LLY's are old news, the red-headed step child of the Duramax Engine..............:rofl:

I know why you want to convert yours now.

See, LS2's aren't (old news), and if he made them possible, in theory, LLY should be a relatively easy step from the LS2 (kinda like LS1 -> LB7 RR).

Last edited: