LMM & PPE Hot+2 Questions

LMMGroceryGetter

Dec 25, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Hey guys, I just bought 5'' turbo back exhaust and a PPE Hot+2 programmer for my 2009 Duramax. The stats say level 1-40HP.
2-90HP/160TQ. 3-160HP/240TQ. 4-225HP/335TQ. 5-300HP/480TQ.
6-395HP/580TQ. Whats the max setting yall think I can run in with a stock tranny. What kind of MPG can I expect? And are the PPE drivers out there happy with the product. I do plan on upgraging my tranny and turbo here sometime. Not sure what products to go with tho.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I ran the 160 HP on my LBZ and it did fine and also gave me the best mileage of all the other settings. On the 225 HP setting my converter would shudder if I lugged it in 5th or 6th gear. I know you have an LMM but I think the tunes are very similar to the LBZ.

Dragonsfireloki

Nov 6, 2011
North Dakota
I ran my LBZ at the 160 hp setting for a long time, its still kind of rough on the clutches, but i had it on there for probably three years and ran it hard a lot. So it wasn't too much of a surprise. I believe they do recommend trans upgrades for that setting but its just a shift kit i think. Talk to Dan@PPE, he will take good care of you and let you know what you need.

03Tommy

Jun 2, 2008
Weston, Mo
I ran mine on level 6 daily before I went EFI. Stock trans. Just have to know how to drive it. Still havent limped my trans and am running an all out tune until I put my dsp 5 in. Let out a little before it hits 5th and 6th and dont lug it to much in either also.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
The PPE 160 tune is still to this day one of the best all around tunes I've experienced. That's the only tune I ran several years ago when I had a PPE.

LMMGroceryGetter

Dec 25, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
I ran the 160 HP on my LBZ and it did fine and also gave me the best mileage of all the other settings. On the 225 HP setting my converter would shudder if I lugged it in 5th or 6th gear. I know you have an LMM but I think the tunes are very similar to the LBZ.

I see you have a PPE Stage 4. Is that a trans upgrade?

LMMGroceryGetter

Dec 25, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
I am running the PPE 160 as well. I agree with everything LWATSON has said. And yes, PPE Stage 4 is a trans upgrade.[/QUOTE

Oh ok, I use to have an LBZ with an Edge programmer. LBZs are damn good trucks, had almost 300k miles on it and never had any engine, tranny or rear end work done to it. Im looking for a little more as far as the programmer goes.

LMMGroceryGetter

Dec 25, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Do I need injectors?

I actually bought a completely built trans from PPE. When I was runing the PPE on level 3 my trans was stock.

Ive got another question for you. The Diesel Mechanic thats gonna do my exhaust & sale me the programmer is also trying to sale me on injectors. He said I'm gonna have to get bigger injectors to run over 120hp programmer, I'm just now getting familiar with diesels and what you need to go fast. But cant I just get a lift pump instead of injectors?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Ive got another question for you. The Diesel Mechanic thats gonna do my exhaust & sale me the programmer is also trying to sale me on injectors. He said I'm gonna have to get bigger injectors to run over 120hp programmer, I'm just now getting familiar with diesels and what you need to go fast. But cant I just get a lift pump instead of injectors?

I would run from that mechanic as he's just trying to screw you... I run 700hp on stock injectors.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Like cold and paint said get a lift pump. Stock injectors are fine until you really start pushing the limits. Also if you do get oversized injectors you'll have to get custom tuning to work with them.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Don't waste your time with a PPE tuner. Get EFILive and do it right the first time, especially if you plan on upgrading the turbo or injectors.

Fastorange

Jan 31, 2009
ohio
tell the guy working on your truck that you have a duramax not a cummins.... you are no where near needing bigger sticks yet.. once you add bigger sticks your ganna need some kinda cp3(fuel pump) upgrade... the stock one can keep up with 20 overs or so... but it would be a waste of money to just install 20% over injectors..

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
tell the guy working on your truck that you have a duramax not a cummins.... you are no where near needing bigger sticks yet.. once you add bigger sticks your ganna need some kinda cp3(fuel pump) upgrade... the stock one can keep up with 20 overs or so... but it would be a waste of money to just install 20% over injectors..
I'm getting ready to do a set of 100% overs and keep the rest of the fuel system stock. It will work fine, you just need someone that can dial you in for the large sticks. My only reason for doing this is to be able to run max effort tuning with safer pulse and timing.