LMM Oil change

mario430

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix Arizona
I'm going to do my own oil change vs taking it to the dealer. Want to find out since I live in Arizona and it gets very hot here during the summer should I use a heavier oil or the standard 10 40 work? also any recommendations on oil brand?

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Yeah 15-40 or 5-40 full synthetic. I run Rotella T6 5-40 with a quart of Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer and either a Mobile 1 or Bosch oil filter. Oil changes are expensive but it beats going cheap and replacing the motor. I change my oil when the computer gets to 20% oil life. 175k miles with no issues.

mario430

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix Arizona
Yeah 15-40 or 5-40 full synthetic. I run Rotella T6 5-40 with a quart of Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer and either a Mobile 1 or Bosch oil filter. Oil changes are expensive but it beats going cheap and replacing the motor. I change my oil when the computer gets to 20% oil life. 175k miles with no issues.

How many miles do you get between oil changes. I spoke to the dealership and they were telling me oil changes are good for 15K but I've read that you should change at 10K and fuel filter @ 30K.

Sounds strange to me but I am new when it comes to the Duramax owned it for just over 1 month.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
I get 6-7k miles between changes. You can go to 10k, I don't but you can.

Lately I have only been driving a few miles a day. I went 8 months before I changed the oil. I figured it was time and I also did a full service. Both diffs, t-case and motor. Noreaster did a good write up on changing diffs and t-case.

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
15-40, my vote on oil is find an amsoil dealer and run both there full synthetic oil as well as there oil filter. They claim 25k miles but I change mine every 10. Also fuel filter IMO should be changed every oil change unless you are running a airdog or equivalent!

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
Deleted or emissions still intact? That makes a big difference on which oils you could choose and how long you can run them safely.

The 15,000 and 30,000 intervals are about right with decent oil, decent filters, decent fuel, and not too much heavy towing or city driving.

mario430

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix Arizona
Question on the oil change and fuel filter changes do you go based on miles or do you go based on what the computer tells you? for my oil change I just hit 5K and I was down to 3% so I changed my oil

My fuel filter I'm at about 7K and I still have 68% left should I wait or what's recommended?

mario430

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix Arizona
This is my daily driver and usually once a month I'll put in some Lucas in the fuel to clean the injectors and what not to help keep everything running smoothly. I don't want to damage anything so that is why I'm asking. I spoke to the dealership and they told me that for the fuel filter since i have the WIX I can easily go 20K and that the computer is the best way to know when to do a service. Was the guy at the dealership just blowing smoke?

IronDX

Jun 14, 2013
This is my daily driver and usually once a month I'll put in some Lucas in the fuel to clean the injectors and what not to help keep everything running smoothly. I don't want to damage anything so that is why I'm asking. I spoke to the dealership and they told me that for the fuel filter since i have the WIX I can easily go 20K and that the computer is the best way to know when to do a service. Was the guy at the dealership just blowing smoke?
Im surpriced the dealer didnt tell you that WIX is junk & that you should only use AC Delco filters.

Lucas fuel treatment isnt the best product to use. Try something better like Opti-Lube, Power Service, or Stanadyne. Just my :2cents:
I personally use a AC Delco fuel filter & change it every 10K miles. Or if youd like, follow the fuel filter life meter.