lmm boost issues "vanes"

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
Ok so Iv got an lmm with one of Trents twin kits on it. It started lagging real bad. So scanned it and found that the vanes were open. I had another good stock turbo laying around, since I figured the vanes were prob. stuck. I switched them out and to save time I just left the turbine housing on and switched out the mid and front section. The vanes looked as if the unison ring was rusted a lil and hanging up. It was tricky to get back together upright but i got it. Went for a test drive and its worse now cause it seems the vanes are stuck closed now. So I then did some continuity test to the solonoid from the ecm and all checked out???? What next? could I have installed the vanes incorrectly?? Seemed to me that it only goes together one way, and I know the turbo is good cause it just came of my brothers truck. I also checked the ecm fuse . Ideas please!!!

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Sounds like you need to start over. You might have been on the right track before you left the original exhaust housing in the truck.

You have a scan tool right?

Pull the Vane sensor, ground it, watch the sensor on the scanner as you push it in and see what it says. If it looks like it should pull the turbo off.

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
Sounds like you need to start over. You might have been on the right track before you left the original exhaust housing in the truck.

You have a scan tool right?

Pull the Vane sensor, ground it, watch the sensor on the scanner as you push it in and see what it says. If it looks like it should pull the turbo off.

just got done doing all of the above. put on the scan tool and removed the sensor, actually tried two sensors and it went from 0 to 100. Then I put the sensor back in with the scan tool still on and pushed in the hydraulic plunger on the driver side on the turbo with the truck on and it cycled the percentage reading up to 100 percent??? so im at a stand still again. All wiring seems fine, vanes seem to be working. Is there any possibility of mating the mid and rear section of the turbo together tightly and not having the actuator arm placed in the unison ring properly?? At idle im reading 0-2 % on the vanes. Is there any way for it to be backward???

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
just got done doing all of the above. put on the scan tool and removed the sensor, actually tried two sensors and it went from 0 to 100. Then I put the sensor back in with the scan tool still on and pushed in the hydraulic plunger on the driver side on the turbo with the truck on and it cycled the percentage reading up to 100 percent??? so im at a stand still again. All wiring seems fine, vanes seem to be working. Is there any possibility of mating the mid and rear section of the turbo together tightly and not having the actuator arm placed in the unison ring properly?? At idle im reading 0-2 % on the vanes. Is there any way for it to be backward???

It's possible you have it put together wrong. I always try to put it back together at around 50% so that it's not at an extreme to have to try and move back.

When you say vanes seem to be working you mean you can hear them or by pushing the plunger they seem to be moving?

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
It's possible you have it put together wrong. I always try to put it back together at around 50% so that it's not at an extreme to have to try and move back.

When you say vanes seem to be working you mean you can hear them or by pushing the plunger they seem to be moving?

I cant hear them at all!!! The vanes that is they dont cycle at start up. But when i push the plunger im seeing movement on the scanner. I wanted to make sure the linkage arm is free moving. But I wouldnt think it would move freely if installed incorrectly. I also tried spiking all the vane tables to get some movement at idle. Im not getting anything. So all i have figured out thus far is all wiring is good. Sensor works. And vane linkage seems to be not stuck, but like I said is it possible for the linkage arm to not be in its slot but still move freely?? Also when you push in the plunger the vane percentage should increase correct??

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I've never pushed the plunger. It's possible you broke the shaft for the vanes and it's not moving the arm...

Might as well pull it all out and see :(

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
Its hard for me to get one back together on the bench let alone in the truck.

It was not easy, but i took my time and checked and double checked and made sure everything seemed to mate smoothly!! no gaps. But who knows. Need to set it outside till I get some more direction. Im at a standstill. Need to get the pulling truck going so I can make Florida pulls in a week. Trying to help a friend out and im stumped. ???

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
I've never pushed the plunger. It's possible you broke the shaft for the vanes and it's not moving the arm...

Might as well pull it all out and see :(

Lol not what I want to hear, id rather do five tranny s to one stock turbo, what a nightmare.

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
pretty positive its not a mechanical issue. Even when commanded to open or close the vanes will not move. Something is not telling the solonoid to open or close!! is there a vane module? or is it in the ecm, and if so could the ecm be bad??

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
Better pull the turbo and start over. Short cuts don't always save you time. Pulling the turbo isn't bad.

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
All the vanes are moving freely and assembled correctly. Gonna try ECM swap tomorrow. And after that it's going to the dealer. Unless for some unforeseen bad luck both vane solonoids are bad

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Glad you got it fixed. Hard to know sometimes without having the truck here to see exactly what it's doing