LML Twins and Opinions

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Hello all,

It's been a while since I've asked some questions on here but I'd like to see what everyone thinks I need or should add to my upcoming "build."

Recently I lifted my 2016 LML CCSB 4x4, which is tuned and deleted by MotorOps via Autocal and DSP5 switch, Flo Pro 5" exhaust with 14" muffler and 30" FTE resonator and S&B intake. For the lift I installed a Cognito 4-6, Yukon 4.11s, King Shocks, AirLift bags, Airlift compressor, Amp power steps, Amp side steps for the bed, RoyaltyCore grille, PPE tie rods, PISK kit, trail ready wheels in 17x8.5, Toyo MTs in 35x12.50R17, cognito front driveline, Rigid 30" bar behind grille, Rigid duallys in front and rear bumpers.

Now, I'm upping the performance. I've ordered the following:

WCFab twin kit with billet S480/1.32AR over a Stealth 64/67 hybrid valley turbo
Exergy 12mm CP3 and conversion
Exergy 100% injectors
Banks Techni-cooler
WCFab hot and cold side pipes - 3" with 3-3.5" reducers for intercooler
HSP billet manifolds and 2" SS up pipes
WCFab turbo blankets for both
EDGE EAS 0-100 psi boost sensor for charge pipe
Tuning will be by MotorOps again

Does anybody think I'll need valves springs or push rods or a damper or anything else like head studs? Truck is and will be daily driven, not raced more than a few times a year at the most, not sled pulled and will be used for towing heavy loads multiple times per year in the Phoenix heat. Also ordered up a deep pan for the trans, which was built by Mike L last year, and all new filters for it and the rest of the system.

Thanks,

Frogman524

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
that poor engine.....

how big of a tow tune you going to go? How much rpm you plan to run?

You damn well need an oil temp gauge

deep pan aint gunna help, better off sending it back and putting that money toward a bigger cooler up front. those bigger manifolds/up pipes are going to make that small turbo laggier when you hook to a trailer and heat soak the system trying to get back into boost after chopping the throttle.

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
Your motor won't live with that setup if utilized..... guaranteed

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Well if I blow the motor going to put a SoCal crate motor in it or build one with all the goodies. Tow tune will be for towing so I suppose MotorOps will have to figure it out, they said they could.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
You have been on this site for 8 years and I am sure you have seen some builds like you are doing that have lasted 1 , 2 years maybe even longer , it just depends on when you want to do it right in the future when it blows . You could be having a shop building you a long block to have it ready for when you need it ! That is what we do for our race cars! Good luck on your decision !

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Thanks I hope it lasts a while, but if not, I'm prepared to give Guy a jingle.

So, nothing else needed right now for the top end? If not now, I'll get all the magical parts once the engine blows.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
that poor engine.....

how big of a tow tune you going to go? How much rpm you plan to run?

You damn well need an oil temp gauge

deep pan aint gunna help, better off sending it back and putting that money toward a bigger cooler up front. those bigger manifolds/up pipes are going to make that small turbo laggier when you hook to a trailer and heat soak the system trying to get back into boost after chopping the throttle.

Stock limited RPM right now. I've towed with twins and manifolds/up pipes by PPE before, up the I17 to flagstaff and had no issues whatsoever. Was on cruise control doing 80 unless someone slowed me down. I may go ahead and get the oil cooler as well.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Springs should not be needed at stock RPM and no cam change , just be careful with that low RPM torque , which you know ! Damper you will get with your balanced assy from SOCAL , why buy it twice !

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
You will crack a piston before you lift a head. No studs needed.
Get a huge oil cooler, and I mean big.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well if I blow the motor going to put a SoCal crate motor in it or build one with all the goodies. Tow tune will be for towing so I suppose MotorOps will have to figure it out, they said they could.

so ill be getting a call then...

Stock limited RPM right now. I've towed with twins and manifolds/up pipes by PPE before, up the I17 to flagstaff and had no issues whatsoever. Was on cruise control doing 80 unless someone slowed me down. I may go ahead and get the oil cooler as well.

ok :D

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
I may do that but at the opinion of the guys at SoCal Diesel, who I spoke with yesterday, they said just wait until she blows and then order up a stage 3, not listed on their website. Anybody have a good dyno recommendation in Phoenix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
My buddy has a 15 that’s been tuned since brand new, has a little over 85,000 miles and twins for the last 40,000. He cracked all 8 on roughly a 400-450ish tune, there have been a few different tuners. He was nice to to except on the hills loaded he refuses to slow down :woott:, this truck has towed at least 80,000 of it’s life and mostly over 10k. We are putting the Mahle racecast back in, I personally think the LML pistons are the worst ones out of all the years. If it was me I would just tear it apart stick new pistons in it before it ruins a cylinder, , key everything, new damper, balance, get good Mahle head gaskets, and studs back in for the heads to save the headache since it’s going to happen anyways .

At least your doing something with the valley charger I have not seen any tuning work right for these trucks with stock charger in the valley with twins, my buddies on his 3rd tuner has hasn’t run them yet due to the piston ordeal, we will see on the new ones I’m sure the result will be the same for the turbo control though. He really only notices the turbo control problems when towing though but since that’s all he does it’s a problem. I tried talking him into ditching the stock valley charger and taking the turbo control away from the ecm.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
My buddy has a 15 that’s been tuned since brand new, has a little over 85,000 miles and twins for the last 40,000. He cracked all 8 on roughly a 400-450ish tune, there have been a few different tuners. He was nice to to except on the hills loaded he refuses to slow down :woott:, this truck has towed at least 80,000 of it’s life and mostly over 10k. We are putting the Mahle racecast back in, I personally think the LML pistons are the worst ones out of all the years. If it was me I would just tear it apart stick new pistons in it before it ruins a cylinder, , key everything, new damper, balance, get good Mahle head gaskets, and studs back in for the heads to save the headache since it’s going to happen anyways .

At least your doing something with the valley charger I have not seen any tuning work right for these trucks with stock charger in the valley with twins, my buddies on his 3rd tuner has hasn’t run them yet due to the piston ordeal, we will see on the new ones I’m sure the result will be the same for the turbo control though. He really only notices the turbo control problems when towing though but since that’s all he does it’s a problem. I tried talking him into ditching the stock valley charger and taking the turbo control away from the ecm.
I'm not happy with the vane control on my tuning either. More I drive it the more I don't like it. When I'm cruising at 65 to 80 it always has 8 to 12 pounds of boost and then going down a slight decline it will all a sudden be up at 15 or more. I don't understand why my tuner thinks it always needs boost built up. I'm thinking of trying somebody else too but don't know who yet since I have EZ Lynk.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
I may do that but at the opinion of the guys at SoCal Diesel, who I spoke with yesterday, they said just wait until she blows and then order up a stage 3, not listed on their website. Anybody have a good dyno recommendation in Phoenix?

I like this plan, what does stage 3 have over the 2?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

What are you after on a dyno? Don’t believe Motorops will so off site tuning on it