LML front u joint problems

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
2014 LML front u joint on front drive shaft after boosted launch. This picture was sent to me from Evan at Limitless. I have another one of these in my shop. Will post picture later. This is becoming a regular thing.
U joints are now made by American axle in Mexico. No longer Spicer.
Evan and I have been talking about this and suggest the ujoints be changed over to Spicer asap. These joints are liable to snap anytime you do a boosted launch and will do thousands of dollars of damage.
The '14 LML in my shop broke the bell housing, transmission case, and transfer case. I did the trans 2 months ago. OUCH.

Attachments

• IMG_3040.JPG
    IMG_3040.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 357

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
So much damage from such a cheap part.

This is good to know. Thank you

I wonder if warranty would cover it?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
So much damage from such a cheap part.

This is good to know. Thank you

I wonder if warranty would cover it?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If the truck has been modified, I'm afraid we just gave GM a way out. That's why we recommend changing to Spicer joints asap.

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
Good to know. I saw a bone stock 2016 twist an aluminum driveshaft apart at a local pull this summer.

I think I will just be nice to mine

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
There is a guy i know here where i live has a 2015 that has broke quite a few it's a stock truck with a lift kit hasn't been that catastrophic yet. Dealer just keeps putting a new driveshaft in it. I believe he told me he was on his 4th or 5th one already

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Mike, do you remember when I broke the weld on my front driveshaft years ago? I lucked out and only had to weld the trans pan up and replace a turbo oil line. I think about that every time I do a boosted launch now.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Mike, do you remember when I broke the weld on my front driveshaft years ago? I lucked out and only had to weld the trans pan up and replace a turbo oil line. I think about that every time I do a boosted launch now.

I remember.