Lml compound turbo vane position questions

LMLEY

Jul 23, 2023
Canada
Hey guys, I have a 2011 lml that I built a S475 over stock compound kit. My question is what should the vane percentage be at wide open throttle? I have some people saying 0% wide open vanes and others saying numbers between 30% and 0%. Currently the vanes seem to range between 15% with spikes as high as 40%+ momentarily at wide open throttle. I’ve been working with my tuner to get this dialled in to 0% at wide open. Interesting thing is out of the 5 files I have for this truck the only file that won’t hold 0% is the max effort file, every other file holds 0% no issues.

Truck has zero boost leaks

First revision for the compounds had desired turbocharger boost set at 55 psia, the stock map sensor scales out at 52 psia (37 psi plus atmospheric pressure) I was told the truck is confused and targeting a pressure above what the map can read and that lowering the desired boost table to 51 psi would fix issue, but same vane issues.

It’s my understanding once the boost pressure reaches desired and maintains desired it would hold the vanes open?

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'm no expert in compound tuning but I think you want it wide open once you hit the desired boost in the tune. I'm pretty sure most will boost higher then what the table has and the tune is set to not code from it

Basically you only want the valley charger to close the vanes when boost in under the desired and the larger turbo is not doing much. When the larger turbo starts to light then open the vanes all the way to reduce back pressure on the exhaust

Mark would be my go to for these questions but there are a few others that should know too

LMLEY

Jul 23, 2023
Canada
I'm no expert in compound tuning but I think you want it wide open once you hit the desired boost in the tune. I'm pretty sure most will boost higher then what the table has and the tune is set to not code from it

Basically you only want the valley charger to close the vanes when boost in under the desired and the larger turbo is not doing much. When the larger turbo starts to light then open the vanes all the way to reduce back pressure on the exhaust

Mark would be my go to for these questions but there are a few others that should know too

This is my understanding of how it should work as well, desired boost table’s should be set slightly lower than where the map maxes out, therefore opening the vanes when desired and beyond is met.

I also see threads like this where JoshH mentions using the minimum vane tables to keep the vanes off 0 so what gives lol.