LM2 Valve Clatter

LM2HC4x4

Feb 21, 2020
New to the forum.

Picked up my LM2 end of January. Began having what sounded like valve clatter around around 2k rpm. Assumed, it was potentially normal as the engine continued to break-in. However, it has continued to get worse. The dealership has opened a "Tact" case no answers at this stage as there are apparently no others issues like it. At cold start yesterday morning (about 30F degrees) definitely had more like an engine rod or main bearing knock.

The dealership diesel tech originally though it was normal diesel sound but has know come to the conclusion there is definitely an internal engine knock.

Will keep posted as we get more information. I will be dropping the truck off this coming Monday for continued test.

If anyone knows of anyone with the same issues. Let me know!

Thanks,
Richard

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
I have not heard anything yet of issues like what you are describing. And yes the “TAC” (technical assistance center) for GM is contacted for all new model vehicles. Engineering usually gets involved and wants to know. Could be a long road just so you know. Hang in there.

jp2000

Feb 27, 2020
I also have this clatter on my 3.0 LM2.

Gets pretty loud when slowly climbing hills. Going slow in a parking lot I can mostly avoid it happening.
Sometimes right after cold start up if I put it in fwd or reverse with the parking brake on to hold it, it will clatter away while I search relentlessly.
Sometimes after it gets warm and I get to my destination and I park I can hear it intermittently clacking. (not the typerwriter kind that plagues other engines)

Its loud enough to feel embarrassing coming out of your new truck, doesn't sound like part of the diesel sound. Like you I hope it will go away (not likely). I haven't had time to take it to the dealer yet.

jp2000

Feb 27, 2020
Was watching this guy's youtube and can kinda hear much of the same clatter noise on his startup. Is that what yours sounds like?

Not sure how to link vids, start up is at 49 seconds, real clatter comes in at 1:02

https://youtu.be/fRVjTby4cIs?t=49

2020 Silverado 3.0 Duramax Cool Weather features, startup and warm up (16F to 20F)

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Could it be that GM set the valve lash too loose on those engines, or an adjuster nut has backed off in the valvetrain as you've put miles on?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Was watching this guy's youtube and can kinda hear much of the same clatter noise on his startup. Is that what yours sounds like?

Not sure how to link vids, start up is at 49 seconds, real clatter comes in at 1:02

https://youtu.be/fRVjTby4cIs?t=49

2020 Silverado 3.0 Duramax Cool Weather features, startup and warm up (16F to 20F)
thats not valve clatter. thats fuel knock from either being real cold or lots of timing from it being so cold

jp2000

Feb 27, 2020
Yeah, that's a reasonable explanation. The problem is mine just makes noises like this when warm under light load.

Here's another more obvious clatter that is way easier to hear that sounds like my clatter.

https://youtu.be/C6Ug6AS9Le0?t=67

But once again this guy is cold start. If you heard this clatter under warm temperatures after the engine was warmed up, most noticeable under load, what do you think the problem would be? When he comes back from his drive, I can still kind of hear the abnormal clatter.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I don’t know what you are expecting. I just hear a Diesel engine. You can’t expect it to be as quiet as a gasser

jp2000

Feb 27, 2020
Yeah, I've been thinking funky pilot injection. Sadly I don't see any relearn procedures for that with gds2, seems to help some cars. Still need to verify they put the right injector codes in at the factory. Wonder if they could even mess that up if they wanted to. These things are just probably extra clattery.

Thanks fast03

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)