LLY Thermostat housing Bolts

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I need to replace my thermostat housing crossover, dealer says my part is discontinued. I did find a part that match up, my only concern is for an LMM. My truck is LLY.

The crossover for a lmm is different. As the coolant line for the heater core does not come off of the crossover like on the lly

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
You need the bottom one in the picture. You need the hole to put the oring tube into for your heater core. On the lmm it comes up from behind the motor and feeds the egr then heater core not from the crossover.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
you need to make 100% damn sure there is no hole/steel tube coming out of the housing where the arrows are. if your truck is a 2005, it should have the hole next to the sensor.

My suggestion is to heli-coil it. what you will do is take a bolt to o-rielys/autozone/napa and tell them you need a heli coil to fit this bolt size. if the ding bat behind the counter has any bit of smarts, he will know how to size it up. you will want the kit that gives you the correct sized drill bit and the tap needed to tap the hole.

once you have that, you drill the hole out you stripped out with the drill bit in the kit. try to do this as straight as you can, it should guide pretty damn straight being its just opening up an old hole. drill down till you see it has hit the bottom of the hole. once done, you will new tap that hole with the tap in the kit. put a little wd-40 on the threads of the tap and start threading it in. go a 1/4-1/2 turn at a time and then back it out a full turn. do that 2-3 times then pull the tap and clean it off. re lube and go back in. you dont want to gall the tap up with aluminum or it will ruin your threads. clean the hole out once you get to the bottom and from that point, you thread on the heli coil to the tool that it comes with and thread it into the hole. its pretty self explanatory on the instructions about breaking the little tang off the heli coil when done to keep it in place. Then just put everything back together and bolt it down.

youtube has plenty of videos and honestly, once you heli coil it, it will be stronger than stock was.

JAG91761

Mar 12, 2018
Ontario, California
Took this pic Saturday.

picture.php

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
you in fact have the bottom crossover in the pic for LB7-LLY. that steel tube going in to the top left of the pic will come out which leaves the hole as shown in the ebay pic.