LLY rough idle

500hpduramally

Aug 17, 2014
Wi
Have fass 150. And Ppe race plug. I was playing around with my cts and looking at the PIDS and my MAF sensor is reading 60g/s at idle. My understanding is 40g/s. Could that potentially be causing my problem?

500hpduramally

Aug 17, 2014
Wi
In the process of doing compression test. Can’t get #8 glow plug to even budge. Afraid it’s going to break. I know you’re supposed to remove all 8 when doing a test but Can I still test all other cylinders with that glow plug in?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
In the process of doing compression test. Can’t get #8 glow plug to even budge. Afraid it’s going to break. I know you’re supposed to remove all 8 when doing a test but Can I still test all other cylinders with that glow plug in?
Yeah, it will just crank a hair slower. The cylinder to cylinder variation will be valid, but your overall numbers might be a hair lower due to lower cranking speed.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
That's not low enough to cause a rough idle and smoke, assuming your glow plugs are working right. My motor is 350 PSI with the high overlap cam, and it starts and idles clean / smooth.

That said, I think 360 is a bit low for a stock motor, but that could just be due to lower cranking speed or the exact gauge setup you used, and probably not worth worrying about too much.

Unfortunately I'm not coming up with a clear answer to what is causing the issue.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Figure out your electrical issues with the truck first, no balance rates without holding brake are not normal. Something is going on with your electrical system, find its cause and I'd bet your idle issues goes away, sounds like a ground issue to me...

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
The ground issue is a good thing to address as Smokin said , you may have a combination of issues that need looked at . Did you talk to SS about running the injectors again since that one keeps giving you problems where ever you move it to ? I did not see in your sig , if you have replaced the head gaskets , if you did its odd that after replacing glow plugs and installing them with anti seize that #8 is stuck , I hope the end is nit broken off causing problems for you ! A couple of mine were burnt off on mine when I did my gaskets but I lucked out with no damage ! Good luck with yours !

500hpduramally

Aug 17, 2014
Wi
Sorry for the delay The last couple months I have been trying to figure this out still. A couple thing I have done. Send that injector back to s&s again they tested it again and it test good but they put a new nozzle on and sent it out. I have switched tuner because figured the MAF reading 55g/s might have something to do with the rough idle and smoke. Right now it’s set around 36-37. And no haze or smoke. Runs smooth. But truck is lazy. If it reads anything more it will sit there and haze in the morning and has a slight miss when you give it alittle throttle. When maf reads the 36-37 balance rates read just fine and they all read good. When the MAF reads more they will sometimes read and sometimes won’t and that same injector reads the 2-2.5 which is within specs. Still on stock HG and head bolts. No coolant loss or hard radiator hose. I have cleaned the grounds and checked wiring harnesses. I have got the #8 glow plug out and plan to do another compression test. I’m lost on this. Thanks in advance for any advice

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Fuel filter housing isn’t leaking is it?
I notice you have a LBZ regulator in your cp3
Have you tried a stock one and putting a stock tune back in?

500hpduramally

Aug 17, 2014
Wi
Factory filter housing is deleted. Fass pressure at 8psi.
So the truck runs smooth and no haze or smoke with MAF reading below 38-40.
But with the MAF reading 38-40 it reads low at WOT 350-375. Any ideas why it would reads low at wot? New air filter dry air filter (not oiled) new MAF SENSOR, and all connections are tight

500hpduramally

Aug 17, 2014
Wi
So MAF reading is figured out. Just wasnt calibrated right. Idles pretty smooth. Still fighting the haze/blue smoke. Thought it was kinda fixed but it got down to 55-60 degrees in the morning last week and the truck smoked blue bad and seemed to be missing slightly for 10-15 mins. Did another compression test and here are the results
1-340 2-340
3-350 4-350
5-340 6-320
7-320 8-340
Think these are low enough to cause smoke?
Balance rates seem okay plus or minus 1-1.5.
Have no blow by
These were the results back in April

1-360 2-360
3-360 4-380
5-380 6-360
7-360

500hpduramally

Aug 17, 2014
Wi
Pilot inject at hot idle is 8 and main is 2
So you 320-350 compression shouldn’t make it smoke and haze at “cold” start up?