Help: LLY losing power

brakeshoe

Nov 11, 2014
I posted this question on another thread and got no response yet so trying it here. My 04 lost power recently on the highway big time, 45mph was about all, sounded like an old Dodge diesel. Made it to the dealership and even though they were swamped they hovered over it and did a scan. It came up that a connection for the turbo was bad, $450 to replace connections.... 2 wks. out too. So with a little persuasion I got their diesel mech. to show me where the connection was and to unplug it and reconnect... It worked.. the eng. light went out and it ran great, no miss.
They said it wouldn't last though, and they were right, one day after my appointment that I canceled the week before:mad: So for the next week or so I kept unplugging it and sprayed ele. cleaner and die ele. grease to the same results.. run for a day or two and then power out.. Then last wkend a buddy who works in a truck garage was up for the deer hunt and told me that they use a sand blaster to the connections at work to fix this.. So far so good. Now wondering if I should cancel my next appt. this Friday ! The plug is located behind the ground connection box under the hood on my 04. It helps to remove the bracket for the ground box too.

Anyone know about this ?

thanks

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
That problem sounds a lot more like a bad injector connector rather than the turbo vane controller. Have you ice picked the harnesses? Search for the ice pick trick. Also check the harness where it goes over the alternator bracket, the corner is sharp and can rub through wires in the harness, causing power issues as well. You can pull the harness apart at that location and fix wires, then insulate with a piece of heater hose against the bracket.

brakeshoe

Nov 11, 2014
thanks, the plug connector right behind the batt. ground box is small and rectangle square and seems to be the problem as every time so far the truck fouls out I simply unplug it and plug it back in. The sand blasting trick so far has worked, thought it would just plug up the connector but after blowing out with compressed air it plugged in fine, and fixed it so far..... Don't know for sure if this is a turbo connector or injector though. Will run it in to the shop and ask . Just hate to spend money fixing it if it isn't broke. Will search the pick trick too. The truck did have a noticeable miss in the engine at idle a few weeks before it lost power.

brakeshoe

Nov 11, 2014
Looked at the ice pick post and can see now from the pics that what I am looking at is an injector connection. The sand blasting for just short spurts on the connector has worked, now going on 3rd day, and is easier than the pick method. Will cancel the latest appt. to get this fixed and keep the pick trick as a backup plan. Great info here, thanks again.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
So it isn't related to the turbo but rather an injector plug?

Yep. Drivers side forward injector plug.#2.

OP, might as well go ahead and ice pick the passenger side rear injector harness also, #7, as that one goes out sometimes as well. It is a problem with the length of harness that GM put on these two spots, it is a bit too short and pulls the connector at an odd angle.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC

OP, might as well go ahead and ice pick the passenger side rear injector harness also, #7, as that one goes out sometimes as well. It is a problem with the length of harness that GM put on these two spots, it is a bit too short and pulls the connector at an odd angle.
I have ice picked an LLY for a friend but didn't know the cause of the issue. Thanks for the info!

brakeshoe

Nov 11, 2014

You called it right, injector connector. I misunderstood the shop before as they were troubleshooting it talking about the turbo maybe, and never had problems since new with this. Thanks much.