LLY - Cracked piston

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
i played with a few different ones but yes, 100%'s. i think i finally settled on 1000uS for summer. it was like 480-500hp (felt neutered compared to before :ROFLMAO: ) as i was tired of starring at the coolant temp. i could just put my foot to the floor and go. There was a fine line in enough fuel to light the 483 and not like Shane says. the 900uS i used at one point coming back from a trip would hardly get the 483 to do anything, 475 should work off that but not much lower. i never tried it but ive heard going under 800uS can be hard to tune part throttle.
That's was one of my concerns with my 480 and why I went 70%, but my HP goal also is less than 800 (would be nice but towing/drivability>power)

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
i played with a few different ones but yes, 100%'s. i think i finally settled on 1000uS for summer. it was like 480-500hp (felt neutered compared to before :ROFLMAO: ) as i was tired of starring at the coolant temp. i could just put my foot to the floor and go. There was a fine line in enough fuel to light the 483 and not like Shane says. the 900uS i used at one point coming back from a trip would hardly get the 483 to do anything, 475 should work off that but not much lower. i never tried it but ive heard going under 800uS can be hard to tune part throttle.
About the lowest I have ran was 1000uS tried 950 and just didn’t like it. Also we were using a 66/480 on this truck. It really comes down to preference and what makes you satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
I think the main goal is to be able to tow out here with some decent power and a reliable build. Nevada regularly sees 90's-100 in the summer and we are at 4500ft so cooling has always been an issue - its one of the main reasons I went with compound over big single. I'm trying to balance power for the build as towing at 450-500, reliably, with room to spare is my goal. Lowering cylinder pressures with lower pulse is a plus, lower CR with the new pistons will also help, which ideally will improve the engine efficiency and lower temps somewhat. I'll also be running the waterless coolant (i'll update if it's any good once I run in the summer). Unloaded on the hot tune, it would be fun to see what she's got but that's less than 10% of the use of the truck.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I agree with 100s. Thats what I have with Mark’s 65mm stg2 turbo. While I don’t have twins in my initial tuning I believe my pulse width was 900us and it drove fine. It felt like a stock power level. If I can teach myself to tune 100s to run clean any real tuner should be able to do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)