Lincoln mig welders

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I've been browsing around lately, looking for a new welder. Currently have a HF dinosaur welder that has honestly treated me extremely well. It's what I have used to fab up all my turbos kits amd every other thing I've ever built at my house. Has never once let me down. Only issue with it is that is it bigger, with built in wheels, only rated and 140 amps but runs off 220v. It also weighs probably 150lbs, not very portable.

140 amp output is more than sufficient for me, 90% of the time I only use the 60-80 amp settings anyways, but being 220v really is a draw back for the lower amp rating.

Was looking at some ebay welders and also the Lincolns at home depot. Specifically the weld pac 140. Compact, portable unit that runs off 120v and rated at 140 amp.

Does anyone have any experience with this little welder? From the looks of it, it would suit my needs well, but at $530, I don't want to jump the gun if there is a better welder at the same price/cheaper.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
my buddy bought a lincoln 140. not a bad little welder. lincoln is by no means a bad product. if you crank it all the way up on 110/120, be sure your plugged in close to the breaker box or that its not a long run of wires to your socket from there (think we talked about that before though and it wasnt an issue for you). we have an older 120 lincoln buzz box at the shop here i use to weld up our stainless steel pots. i dont like the 4 heat setting you get (need more adjustment for the stainless wire) but its 15 years old not one issue

i use a Miller Passport. its a 210 amp unit that can run on 110 or 220 AND you can get a paintball co2 tank, put it in the case and weld things out in the boonies as long as you have power to feed it.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
It only has a 20% duty cycle at 90amps meaning it can only weld at 90amps for 2 minutes straight then it must rest for 8 minutes... Most garage hobby welders that is fine but any heavy fab will easily over tax the welder. What does your current welder have for duty cycle?

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
Funny Levi said that. I've run Lincoln and Miller. Either will treat you well, I prefer Miller that's what my tig is and I use it every single day without issue. Maybe consider a brand that you can get specific parts for locally

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
My main concern is trying to stay around the $550 price range. If I can't get anything decent for that price, I will just stick with my current HF welder. With that being said, it sounds like the Lincoln 140 will be just fine for me. Will be nice to be able to carry it over to buddies houses without having to find some way to get 220v out to the garage and what not.

Actually just had my welding tank refilled this afternoon, now I've got an itch to do some welding.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Check out Everlast welders. Despite the red and blue faithful saying otherwise, they've been awesome so far for moderate use in my shop. I've gone to their welders for both mig and tig and been really happy considering I couldn't touch a Miller/Lincoln for the price. Warranty is good at 5 years and it looks like they have a 140amp welder for $399

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/product/mig/power-i-mig-140e

I'm glad you showed me this. I may just up the budget and get something that will do everything. Looking at their Power i-MIG 200. Its a beast. Dual voltage 120/240, awesome duty cycles, does mig and stick...price is great also at $799. IGBT's rather than transformer.

On 240v it has a 60% duty cycle at 160 amp, a 35% duty cycle at 200 amp and a 100% duty cycle at 130 amp.

On 120v it has a 35% duty cycle at 125 amp, 60% duty cycle at 100 amp and 100% duty cycle at 75 amp.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I called Everlast with a few questions. They don't have any welders in stock except for the big big ones or the small small ones. He said it'd be middle of May for them to get any of the I-MIG 200's in. But also said they could cut me a better deal if I pre order one.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Sub'd. I'm quite impressed with the everlast specs for the price. I've always used Lincoln and Miller, I prefer Miller. I've always had better quality welds with a Miller than a Lincoln. I hope the everlast can weld good as a Miller does.

SwitchBack

Sep 8, 2012
Vermont
My buddy just picked up a Lincoln 140. It's a great little welder to keep in the garage and it's very portable which is handy. Sure it won't do everything but for 95% of what we weld it gets the job done.

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
I picked up a Hobart handler 190 from tsc on Black Friday and have no complaints. It is a big more than your price range. Also use a handler 187 which is the older model and haven't had an issue with either

new york lly

I really do care!!
Feb 8, 2014
Buffalo NY
I've been browsing around lately, looking for a new welder. Currently have a HF dinosaur welder that has honestly treated me extremely well. It's what I have used to fab up all my turbos kits amd every other thing I've ever built at my house. Has never once let me down. Only issue with it is that is it bigger, with built in wheels, only rated and 140 amps but runs off 220v. It also weighs probably 150lbs, not very portable.

140 amp output is more than sufficient for me, 90% of the time I only use the 60-80 amp settings anyways, but being 220v really is a draw back for the lower amp rating.

Was looking at some ebay welders and also the Lincolns at home depot. Specifically the weld pac 140. Compact, portable unit that runs off 120v and rated at 140 amp.

Does anyone have any experience with this little welder? From the looks of it, it would suit my needs well, but at $530, I don't want to jump the gun if there is a better welder at the same price/cheaper.

I bought this unit almost 5 years ago use it all the time very dependable

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I picked up a Hobart handler 190 from tsc on Black Friday and have no complaints. It is a big more than your price range. Also use a handler 187 which is the older model and haven't had an issue with either

After doing some research on the Hobart units, their specs aren't very impressive. The handler 190 only has a 30% duty cycle at 130amps. The Everest power I-mig 200 has a 100% duty cycle at 130 amp and a 35% duty cycle at 200 amp.