Lighter weight wheel and tire combo???

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
So this winter my tires where pretty useless and I am too cheap to put a new set on at this time. So I threw a set of steel wheels with snow tires from one of our Express vans on for the moment. I don't know if the colder weather is effecting it or the slightly shorter tire, but the truck seems to drive easier and the turbos spool better, even on the smallest tune. So this has me thinking about ditching the 20s and trying drop some rotating mass. What combos are people running and what would be a realistic weight to try to get per corner. I think I want to stay with a ten ply tire for towing, but open to some options.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Stock pyo wheels are some of the lightest you’ll find. Put a good 265 10 ply on it and go on.

or do a 285.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
A forged wheel is going to be substantially lighter than the cheap cast wheels that are on just about every truck, and they are much stronger. The stock PYOs are forged.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
So doing some research, in the size I would like to run, there isn't much difference in the weight of the tire, but the rim I am currently running is 41 pounds. So looking at abound 70 LBS with a 285/75R16 on a stock wheel vs about 100 pounds on my current wheel on a 285/55R20.

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
By any chance, do you have a weight on that ends up being each? Also is that what you where running with the 1.66 60 Foot?
I don'tt have the weight but I can get your the weight later tonight after work. I had my slicks on with the 1.66 60ft not the pyos.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

KRODMAX/KS

It'll be alright
Jul 27, 2017
Oz
I had the stock size (265*75*16) with a Michelin ms2 with the PYO's, weight was 50lbs ea.

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
Just weighed the stock PYO with a 265/75 kuhmo road venture and its was 67lbs even. Check the scale with 2 10lb weights and its registered 19.8lbs. So its alittle off.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

sneaky98gt

Nov 5, 2013
I don't have exact weights, but there was a DRASTIC difference between the stock Pyos with 245/75R16 Michelin street tires, and either of the current sets I run (H2 wheels with 275/70R17 General ATx, and 20x9 Fuel Hostages with 305/50R20 Yokohama Parada Spec-X). I think it'd be easy to throw a back out if not being careful moving these tires around, whereas I could almost handle the Pyos with one hand. If I had to guess, I'd say the Pyos were ~50-60 pounds wheel + tire, and either of my current sets are 100+.

I don't think I can tell a difference driving, but I definitely can tell a difference in the fuel mileage. I log fuel mileage pretty religiously (hand calculated), and I lost a solid 0.5 mpg switching to the Yokohamas on 20x9s, and another 0.5 mpg on the all-terrains. 1 mpg doesn't sound like much, but that's over 5% at the rough average of ~18. There's other factors at play there (wind resistance from wider tire, increased rolling resistance, etc.), but I think an additional ~200 pounds of rotating mass doesn't help anything at all.

That said, I love the look of my truck with both sets of current wheels. Never been a fan of the Pyo looks, so I'm not too upset about it.

Oh, forgot to add. The Michelin tires I had on the Pyos were (I think) the LT2. The plain-jane road tread pattern ones (not the sorta all-terrain looking ones), and in load range E (10-ply); I'm not sure if they even make them anymore or if maybe they've been upgraded. They didn't have the dry road grip my Yokohamas do, and they didn't have the off-road / mud grip the General ATx's do, but holy smokes were they amazing everywhere else. Quiet as a feather, smooth as could be, fantastic in the rain, and almost unbelievable in the snow (though a really narrow tire + 7000 pound truck helps there, too). And as a bonus, I don't think you can wear the damn things out. They had like 75k miles when I sold them on CL, and still had a fair amount of life in them. Only down side is you're gonna pay for them....but, I think you usually get what you pay for.

Last edited: