Question: Liftpump filters for winter months?

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
My question is, 2 winters ago I had a airdog 165gph on my 06 dmax. And it gelled up twice on me. Also had tr factory filter in the engine on aswell. This year on my 04.5lly I only run a airdog150 for filtration. No filter of assembly under the hood. Should I continue to use a 2 micron filter or should I use something "less filtered" I don't feel comfortable running anything less than a 2 because its my only fuel filter setup. But should I be afraid of the truck gelling? We get down to -10,-15 sometimes in January/February. Will my use of 2 stroke oil each fill up help prevent gelling also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
The two stroke will NOT help with gelling. Run a different additive non alcohol tho

Stick with your current filter set up

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I agree. Different additive. My PPE pump would gel up right at the inlet even with the 'normal' amount of additive. I have to run a double batch of additive and carry the diesel 911 and a small butane torch just in case.

nar

Now with less _
Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
Is this a common lift pump problem? I don't remember reading much about it before. We've never had trouble with stuff gelling as long as we have additive in it.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
What's your guys' best recommendation for winter additive, where gelling is a concern? I'm using the blue Stanadyne, but if there's something better I'll switch.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I run Howes diesel treat in the winter. Keep all receipts, and they will pay a tow bill if your fuel gels up! Ive never had an issue running it, but it rarely gets below zero here.

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
So should I stop using 2 stroke oil in my fuel tank anyhow? I usually run stanadyne in conjunction to the 2 stroke oil. It seems to help quiet the motor a bit and keep injector rates in check.

Dragonsfireloki

Nov 6, 2011
North Dakota
I have been running stanadyne in my truck since i bought it and haven't run into any problems, even when i put the 2 micron cat filter on the stock filter head. In my area it gets down to -30 quite often in the winter. Just run a good additive, run it in every fuel tank and you won't have any problems.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I'm planning on running stanadyne and just watch where you get fuel, I think crappy fuel with water in is causes the most issues

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
I only gelled up when I first bought my red truck when I didn't have a lift pump, once I got that and starting using OptiLube.....never had an issue.

The Dually hasn't gelled up using OptiLube so far.

And we have nothing but biodiesel here and it gels before normal fuel IMO.

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
Ok, thanks John. So should I not use the 2 stroke oil at all? Just a good additive? I'll stick with the 2micron filter. Maybe a fleet guard as there not very costly.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Ok, thanks John. So should I not use the 2 stroke oil at all? Just a good additive? I'll stick with the 2micron filter. Maybe a fleet guard as there not very costly.

There is no antigelling properties in 2 stroke IIRC.....I've personally never used it, I would just stick to an additive for winter time.

dmaxbowtie

Duramax fiend
Jun 2, 2011
RI
I have a airdog 2 with 2 micron filter and use it all winter.. I run Lucas upper cylinder lubricant all summer and howes all winter with no issues, I'm sure there are plenty of good additives out there too.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I use the Stanadyne performance formula. So far so good, even at -50. And as others have said, ditch the 2 stroke oil.

I just bought a case of it after having good luck with it last winter. I like there new bottle design so I dont have to use a funnel.

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
How much addictive is sufficient for a full tank fill up? For winter time that is?

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
Stanadyne Performance go twice the amount. Howe's go twice. Howe's is much cheaper for winter use. This winter I'm running Howe's and I'll throw in some SP every other tank. This may be considered overkill but better to be safe than sorry freezing your sack off trying to thaw things out. Another thing to do is keep your tank full. Keeping it full keeps condensation down to a minimum, which in turn helps prevent gelling.