Lifting the cab

J.Anderson987

Sep 5, 2022
I have never lifted the cab on a Duramax, but from what I hear, it isn't too bad.

If someone could give me a step by step process on everything that needs to be removed/disconnected on a 2012 lml, that would be greatly appreciated.

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
Upper & lower rad hoses
intercooler pipes
fan shroud removed from rad. Just unhook and let it stay with engine as i dont think it will come out completely. Just dont forget to put it back before lowering the cab again as it may be a real mess getting it back in.
power steering hoses for the cooler disconnected
battery cables disconnected
wiring unhooked. Just go around the engine and disconnect anything going beyond engine including the ECM
disconnect steering wheel shaft
disconnect e brake cable
disconnect shift cable at the transmission
make sure to disconnect ground wires at firewall and under front core support
works best if bumper is removed
remove the 3 bolts per side of cab
remove nuts from core support bolts
chassis harness need to be disconnected
heater core hoses disconnected
def fill tube removed from firewall
ac vacuumed out to disconnect lines.
transmission cooler lines disconnected
make sure to disconnect batteries before unplugging stuff
power steering lines removed from booster
remove brake master cylinder from booster instead of disconnecting lines so you dont need to bleed brakes after your back together.

Not really step by step but most things dont really have a sequence. Just go slow when you start raising to make sure nothing is missed . may be a few things i missed as its been awhile since i did one.

Last edited:

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
If the AC compressor is on top of the engine, remove it from the engine and strap it to the hood (on my LLY I laid a 2x4 across the fenders and strapped it there) that way you do not have to vacuum out the freon. The compressor and condenser go up with the cab.

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
If the AC compressor is on top of the engine, remove it from the engine and strap it to the hood (on my LLY I laid a 2x4 across the fenders and strapped it there) that way you do not have to vacuum out the freon. The compressor and condenser go up with the cab.
Good idea there.