Lifting Off Cab

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Man that reads like a LOT of work but sure is soooo nice to see all that space to work!!!

Want me to write up how to remove the motor? I already did. Read through that. Its not so much the number of things you have to remove, its how long it takes to remove each thing. Trust me. Pulling the cab is faster. as long as you dont need to do bottom end work, its my personal favorite.

However if you dont have time to work on the truck nonstop to get it done and are borrowing somebodys lift, and they need it. Might be best to pull the motor out, because the cab will tie up a stall.

hmm interesting...I do it a little different than Vinny, the wiring that is.

I basically just disconnect all of the plugs from the underside of the fusebox and let them droop down in the driver side wheel well.

That way you dont have to disconnect the start solenoid wire, chassis wiring, transmission wiring, and you dont have lots of wiring drooping down when the cab is in the air; it all just stays on the chassis.

Ive never found a need to remove the bumper, but as Vinny says, it makes it easier because especially on the 01-02 trucks, the bumper likes to get hung up on the core support. 03+ trucks its easier.

I had wondered about doing it that way. Might try it that way next time.

I just take the bumper off right away because I like having it out of the way for doing HGs. Doesnt need to come off for cab removal.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Ok, let me correct myself, it takes less time to pull MY motor, a stock duramax, would take probably twice as long as mine.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Ok, let me correct myself, it takes less time to pull MY motor, a stock duramax, would take probably twice as long as mine.

true

But with the way im setting the cab up on my truck, it will take less time to pull it than anything else.

but now were not talking road trucks.

Gen3Benz

Apr 17, 2012
Takes me much less time to pull a cab than a motor. Dealing with the tranny is the most time consuming part in engine removal IMO.
Just removed my first chevy cab today and joined this forum to thank you for the writeup. I just printed out your post and went down the list and it worked great.
The truck im working on has a huge dumpbed on it so I cant lift it so I did what duratothemax stated and just unplugged the rest of the wiring at the fusebox. Works great.

This seems like less of a hassle than yanking the engine or leaving the engine in. Thanks again.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Leaving all of the wiring with the chassis is the best idea by far. Got it down pat now. Ive also started just lifting the cabs on the pinched seam like a unibody car. Makes it much quicker and easier.

Heres a video I made.

[youtube]L53if27AkpM[/youtube]

2006 LBZ

Feb 8, 2011
Calgary, Ab.
That is a neat video, I can beat any book time on duramax work with the cab on, but I might try this once just so the ford guys in the shop feel threatened hahaha

dansdieselp

Diesel Tuner
Apr 3, 2009
Marengo, IL
For turbo swaps and head gaskets the cab comes off. The first couple times it may take you a bit of time, but after that it's a breeze. It only takes us about an hour to pull the cab and engine tear down and assembly goes much faster. A head gasket job can now be completed in one day with two guys and a spare set of heads ready to go on. It's much more profitable this way especially if you bill out by flat rate or book time.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
That is a neat video, I can beat any book time on duramax work with the cab on, but I might try this once just so the ford guys in the shop feel threatened hahaha

Most of their book times are outrageous. HGs on an LB7 IIRC is 30.5hrs, takes a little over half that working comfortably by yourself. Water pump @7.5hrs. I'd love to do them all day, they hardly take an hour. 10.5hrs for R&R on transmission. Wish more of them failed. 12.4hrs for an up-pipe, why can't everybody blow them out.

Its not so much to success of beating book time, its the goal of beating it by at least 50%.

Just did another set a couple weeks ago. I'm still convinced the cab goes on faster than it comes off.

mebob2001

Oct 31, 2014
Riverview, new brunswick
Most of their book times are outrageous. HGs on an LB7 IIRC is 30.5hrs, takes a little over half that working comfortably by yourself. Water pump @7.5hrs. I'd love to do them all day, they hardly take an hour. 10.5hrs for R&R on transmission. Wish more of them failed. 12.4hrs for an up-pipe, why can't everybody blow them out.

Its not so much to success of beating book time, its the goal of beating it by at least 50%.

Just did another set a couple weeks ago. I'm still convinced the cab goes on faster than it comes off.

12.4 hours for an uppipe? where did this labor time come from? its 1.8 for right and 1.5 for left which are times i can easly beat on LLY's and up without any bolts breaking, LB7s do take mroe time due to the lovly down pipe set up. but still 12 hours? and a water pump in one hour? honestly i would love to see that i know with the fly wheel holding tool from the after market makes it so i can do them in 2-3 hours depending on model and rust

mebob2001

Oct 31, 2014
Riverview, new brunswick
12.4 hours for an uppipe? where did this labor time come from? its 1.8 for right and 1.5 for left which are times i can easly beat on LLY's and up without any bolts breaking, LB7s do take mroe time due to the lovly down pipe set up. but still 12 hours? and a water pump in one hour? honestly i would love to see that i know with the fly wheel holding tool from the after market makes it so i can do them in 2-3 hours depending on model and rust

nvm i know where you got that time frame it is from the 2011 and up LM L/LGH they want transmission removed which u do not need to do

rg3whitelbz

Jan 19, 2013
Maryland
Bumping this back w/ a question. On the 6.4s i've lifted, half the cab cage nuts usually spin even by hand with heat. Is this an issue on our trucks?