Lifted drag trucks

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Well ran in 2wd this Sat. Only got 3 hits. First run I red lighted bad so I laid into it and gave everyone a full track smoke show. Second hit concentrated hard on not blowing off the tires got a crappy reaction time .231 lol and 60' 2.374 but hooked good for a 13.72 @ 103mph I am sure I could have left harder and still hooked and was ready to try the it next time.
All ready to leave as hard as I thought traction would allow on the last yellow truck went too idle and I had a dead peddle.:confused: rolled out about 100 feet and it throttled up no codes still not sure why???
I am sure the truck will do mid 12 when I can launch in 4wd but I am 37s on a 4-6" lift with bad CV angles and currently poor as a church mouse...

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
That's Matt Moons truck. He hasnt done anything with it for the last 4+ years. He lives down the street from me.

Mike what size tires was Matt running and what did he do to his front end??? That truck flat out hauls the mail especially for a lifted truck!!!

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Mike what size tires was Matt running and what did he do to his front end??? That truck flat out hauls the mail especially for a lifted truck!!!

I can't say what is done to the front end, I have never looked under it. If i remember correct, those were 35's. They own a huge shop out here in slc. Gillett diesel service.

He got big into the sled pulling world and put up some serious competion. A few weeks back he slapped a (i think) gt4202 back on it and was making it back into a street truck. One of the guys at their shop was interested in buying It. I havent heard anything since. I like to try and have a little chat with Matt every time I stop in. Cool guy.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I guess I will have to quite being so stubborn and ditch the 37" s for 35" s or see if I can find parts too drop my front diff another inch. I definitely have more power than I can plant. Everyone at the track but me loves the full track smoke shows lol

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
At 103mph and 37, it will be very hard to get 12s even in 4wd. I ran 105 mph on a draining fuel rail and Twins and the best I could get was a 13.02 that night. It was also the same night I bent my rods. Then next time out I ran a best of 113mph and 12.39 with an ok 4wd launch, bad trans, boost leaks and bad shocks. All still on 37s.

One day she might make a track appearance again

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
At 103mph and 37, it will be very hard to get 12s even in 4wd. I ran 105 mph on a draining fuel rail and Twins and the best I could get was a 13.02 that night. It was also the same night I bent my rods. Then next time out I ran a best of 113mph and 12.39 with an ok 4wd launch, bad trans, boost leaks and bad shocks. All still on 37s.

One day she might make a track appearance again

Huh you say it is going to be hard to due then you say you made it with a lot more problems than I am having.
103mph was the best out of three bad 2wd runs I know for a fact the truck has a whole lot more in it. Other than a dead peddle on my third and final run of the day the truck performed great my performance on the other hand was lacking.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Huh you say it is going to be hard to due then you say you made it with a lot more problems than I am having.
103mph was the best out of three bad 2wd runs I know for a fact the truck has a whole lot more in it. Other than a dead peddle on my third and final run of the day the truck performed great my performance on the other hand was lacking.

well i guess my trap speed wasnt enough of a give-a-way ;). the 13.02 was on twin and stock motor/stock fuel. the 12.39 was on a built motor and 45% over stick and dual fuelers. we are talking a 200hp increase from one time to the next.

reaction doesnt affect your ET or mph so id quit trying to cut lights there and focus on good launching. time doesnt start till you move. your trap speed also wont increase much with a hard 4wd launch, if it even does.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I found it was kind of futile in 2wd I am betting I would have been faster in my optimized stock tune as I had to be very light on the throttle the whole way down.
I am still amazed that with this much weight and these big tires one can even entertain the thought of cutting 13 much less 12 LOL
If am still going too try too cut a 12 and put together a package that can win some races and right now I know need more work than the truck LOL

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I found it was kind of futile in 2wd I am betting I would have been faster in my optimized stock tune as I had to be very light on the throttle the whole way down.
I am still amazed that with this much weight and these big tires one can even entertain the thought of cutting 13 much less 12 LOL
If am still going too try too cut a 12 and put together a package that can win some races and right now I know need more work than the truck LOL

oh ET would have for sure been cut down some but your mph is a good indication of where your truck would be once you get good launches under it.

it really is a cool feeling running that fast on these big ass tires. i just love the fact i can use it like a truck and then turn it up and blow the doors of most that want to play (thats assuming i need to turn it up :D)

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Even though I didn't perform well and didn't get the ET I believe the truck is capable of even in 2wd I had a blast. The truck drew a lot of attention obviously it surprised a lot of people there.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah

The truck is set up for pulling, has a 6" lift. At the drags that night he was running 33" Maxxis tires. Traction was a problem. With better tires he'd have been real close to the 10's.

Last edited:

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
The truck is for pulling, has a 6" lift. At the drags that night he was running 33" Maxxes (sp?) tires. Traction was a problem. With better tires he'd have been real close to the 10's.

Wow just 33's they looked a lot bigger in the video.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I have a set of Kryptonite tie rods and a Cognito PISK on the way. Anyone have pictures or a diy on the limit straps?

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Dropped tire size from 355/60 20s too 325/60 20s lowered the front 1 1/2" and added Kryptonite tie rods and PISK. The CV angles still aren't perfect but the truck 4whd launches well now. The Gov-bomb gave up the ghost and I replaced it with a Yukon Grizzly locker. Will be heading for the NW NHRDA Nationals July 11 running sportsman class hoping for mid 11s. Truck has run high 13s @ 103 in 2whd with no traction on the old tires (36.9") the new tires are 35.4" and weigh 10lbs apiece less...

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Dropped tire size from 355/60 20s too 325/60 20s lowered the front 1 1/2" and added Kryptonite tie rods and PISK. The CV angles still aren't perfect but the truck 4whd launches well now. The Gov-bomb gave up the ghost and I replaced it with a Yukon Grizzly locker. Will be heading for the NW NHRDA Nationals July 11 running sportsman class hoping for mid 11s. Truck has run high 13s @ 103 in 2whd with no traction on the old tires (36.9") the new tires are 35.4" and weigh 10lbs apiece less...

That should have said hoping for Mid 12s anyway high 12 are definitely a possibility. I wanted to run Friday night and get some max effort runs in to see what she would do but got there too late. I pland on playing Friday and switching too the number 3 tune Saturday for racing so I split the difference and raced in my number 4 tune and that still proved inconsistent as every run was faster making dial in difficulty. My last qualifying run was 13.45 so I dialed in 13.39 to be safe and still broke out.
It was a very close race against Jim Calhoun who also broke out I by .020 of a second less for the win...

Attachments

• 1436776301411-1272444360.jpg
    1436776301411-1272444360.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 26

sharpshooter

Jan 2, 2013
Bringing up an old thread. Do any of you that run your lifted truck at the track use double Cardan (cv style) front driveshaft? If yes,how have they held up and do they have any vibration at high speeds?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Bringing up an old thread. Do any of you that run your lifted truck at the track use double Cardan (cv style) front driveshaft? If yes,how have they held up and do they have any vibration at high speeds?

no, id rather keep the reliable stocker and risk cracking a t-case than putting an aftermarket shaft in and wondering when it will blow and take my t-case/trans with it.