Lift Pump

bigwhitedd

Mar 6, 2017
What are you trying to achieve with the air dog. I have that same pump and only really put it on because I replaced my injectors and wanted the extra filtration. I also run a cat filter up front. If that's all your after than I wouldn't worry about anything and just use it the way it comes. But like I said I would run the line all the way to the engine by passing the crappy metal lines. There is plenty of line that comes with it in the kit. All I had to do in back was lower my fuel cooler. I was able to get my hand in above the tank and take out the factory line and run the ad line to the factory pick up. Kind of a pain but beat dropping the tank in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

jchav62

NM Duramax
Oct 12, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
I'm trying achieve exactly that. Just to help the injector life. I also have the Nictane adapter and Cat filter which I plan to install at the same time. I'll take your advice and run the line all the way up.

What are you trying to achieve with the air dog. I have that same pump and only really put it on because I replaced my injectors and wanted the extra filtration. I also run a cat filter up front. If that's all your after than I wouldn't worry about anything and just use it the way it comes. But like I said I would run the line all the way to the engine by passing the crappy metal lines. There is plenty of line that comes with it in the kit. All I had to do in back was lower my fuel cooler. I was able to get my hand in above the tank and take out the factory line and run the ad line to the factory pick up. Kind of a pain but beat dropping the tank in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Imo if you're all about injectors, I'd leave the stock fuel filter alone and not use the cat kit . The cat doesn't have a fws. While most LPs do, why not have more fws? I kept mine with a Baldwin up front which is a better filter than the cat and has fws

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
While that is very impressive and does make me think most would not have an issue. That isn't the real world and doesn't address the soft fuel line hanging below the fuel tank that can be just as bad as a hole in the tank.

We have several Duramaxes and gasser 6.0 in our Fleet that we use for construction. They do get used by some careless individuals. I have seen several scraches in a tank to the point of it weeping fuel. Ran sticks through 2 differant fuel coolers by different individuals. Tons of crushed skidplates, tcase crossmembers, and rear shock mounts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I do not like sumps. Not because of things that can hurt them but due to design.

You no longer have the return feeding the sump in low fuel situations (prevents cavitation and “1/4 tank issues”) and you basically rely on the little 1” sides to keep fuel there for the pick up tube.

Maybe I run to the end of the tank more than most but I’ve dealt this exact setup in my sand car before I had a custom tank made with a deep sump, fuel return into it and pick at the bottom. The stock basket has flappers in it that allow fuel in and next to no fuel out along with the fuel returning to the basket. This keeps the pick up submerged damn near all the time even under extreme conditions. I have a ppe pick up tube in my stock basket that gets ride of the stock dinky pick up and fits nicely in the basket so you don’t have “1/4 tank issues” either (it actually snap into place on the bottom of the basket).

I would not run fuel line all the way to the engine. The stock air dog stuff sucks and starts cracking within a year or two. The stock steel fuel lines are more than sufficient for your truck and makes setup much easier and cleaner.

So if it was me, I’d leave the pick up as is. You don’t make the power nor will the 100 be affected by the neck down of the pick up. It will keep plenty of fuel up to the cp3. Otherwise I’d get a ppe pick up. Run the return as the instructions say and hook up everything as it says. The whole point is to stop cavitation, add filtration and help longevity, you will be getting all that without needing to buy more stuff

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
Oh my gosh lol that vid is impressive , it was way more extreme than real world experiences a sump would never go through that much torture pretty sure who's sump I'm goin to buy , it was a tossup between beans and fass , not going to lie that one hold down bolt kind of freaks me out compared to some that have bolts all the way around... but the vid helped me make up my mind.

And I agree with the above statement it makes more sense to use the factory hardlines that cannot collapse as easy and dry out overtime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I run a sump and have no issues. I can run out almost all if the diesel in the tank. More than I could from a straw.

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
While that is very impressive and does make me think most would not have an issue. That isn't the real world and doesn't address the soft fuel line hanging below the fuel tank that can be just as bad as a hole in the tank.

Soft fuel line... What you talkin' bout... We 3/4 stainless tube, FTW! :woott: And I'll never bend stainless tube that big again either... A pita without professional tool! :D

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Also, being that you're just going to running a 100gph and not looking for performance enhancement. I'll change my recommendation and say the stock pickup will be okay.

Then everyone does make a valid point about a sump low hanging, I can also attest to a 150+gph pump will start cavitating around 3-4 gallons with a sump as Chevy1925 mentioned. There's ways to help that, but the effort required honestly isn't worth it with what you're trying to do.
Same goes for the straw, that's just more work and money that really isn't going to benefit you too much, since you're not after performance - If you're bored and looking for something to do, that's something else entirely.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Soft fuel line... What you talkin' bout... We 3/4 stainless tube, FTW! :woott: And I'll never bend stainless tube that big again either... A pita without professional tool! :D

Oh I missed that it was a hard line. Still not for me. I’m at 650hp with plenty of fuel left.

HWI

Feb 7, 2016
FL

We have several Duramaxes and gasser 6.0 in our Fleet that we use for construction. They do get used by some careless individuals. I have seen several scraches in a tank to the point of it weeping fuel. Ran sticks through 2 differant fuel coolers by different individuals. Tons of crushed skidplates, tcase crossmembers, and rear shock mounts.

If you have to worry about that fuel line then you have to worry about brake lines as well, since they hang lower. I would be pretty impressed to see someone yank that fuel line off a sump without extremely extensive damage to nearly everything else exposed on the bottom of the truck. Even on the internet I've never heard of it happening.

I have nothing against not using a sump, I just think that's a silly argument.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
If you have to worry about that fuel line then you have to worry about brake lines as well, since they hang lower. I would be pretty impressed to see someone yank that fuel line off a sump without extremely extensive damage to nearly everything else exposed on the bottom of the truck. Even on the internet I've never heard of it happening.

I have nothing against not using a sump, I just think that's a silly argument.

Ya like I said I didn't know it was a hard line. Your right though if it's not on the Internet it must not be possible .....:/

Wturnbo

Mar 9, 2017
Flagstaff,Az
I have a 70 gallon in bed tank that i just flip a switch and use that one it does not transfer into main tank. Wondering how i could put a lift pump on this type of setup and have it work for both tanks.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
You would have to have two valves one supply and one return so you can draw and return to the same tank depending which one you use. Would be more of a pia than just transferring into the main. I do the same thing cuz it's easier.

Wturnbo

Mar 9, 2017
Flagstaff,Az
Ok ill have to check an find the valve they used when they did it all an see what all can be one. Had he tank when i bought the truck just never really looked at it cuz it worked but it doesnt matter where you mount it the pump?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Depends on the pump but normally on a truck no.
If I was to do it I would do it with a 3 way ball valve on the return from the engine, and the same with the suction side to the lift pump. Also if you have a FASS or similar with its own return you will need to put a 3 way valve in it as well to redirect the fuel back to whichever tank you are using.

In short, a lot of plumbing, valving, and way more effort than simply plumbing the slip tank to just fill the main.