Lift Pump.What to get for the money.

2003Duramaxlb7

May 4, 2014
Pensacola,FL
Alright I need to get me a lift pump,and tune this truck its an 03 LB7.. I should be getting withthin a week or 2 a ported intake horn and an intake kit.. I have a muffler delete so far for exhaust, But thinking of going to a 5inch... whats the best lift pump for the money, or does someone have one for sale on here?? I tried to search,But found not much of anything.. Its a DD and I do tow somethings everynow and then mostly around 2k lbs max...Sometimes I pull a 10k Bobcat..

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
I would go for whichever one has filters and doesn't require a "draw straw". I just installed an AD II 165, pretty easy. You can toss the stock filter if you have good filtration on the lift pump. Watch out for the tube inside the filler pipe if you use the filler pipe return piece.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Cost a little more, but I'm pretty happy with my Kennedy pumps.

Sent from a ditch being dug near you using Tapatalk

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Get one with a lifetime warranty if you plan on keeping the turck. I run a airdog raptor 150 415.00. With a Cat adaptor 80.00 with a 16.00 Donaldson Fuel filter with water separator. Just over 500 on it and can run cheap filters

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
This has been discussed at length before and several valid points were made, I'll see if I can't dig up the tread from the archives.

IIRC There is one "flaw" to the air dog pump, I remember it being said that if the pump fails it will keep the truck from running because it's not a "flow through" design. Something like that.

All I know is it's been a good pump for me (ADII 165)
I've installed a fuel sump on my tank (a mod that's not for everyone) to help out the pump, so now it's gravity fed. This eliminates 2 things: the draw straw/ quarter tank issue and it also makes the pump work less.
Not to mention allows you to get every drop of fuel on long trips.

I don't know about the flow through design thing. I do know (because of the sump) if I pull the filter fuel pours out like a river!

I've been interested in hearing if anyone has tried the fuel labs pump
http://fuelab.com/products/diesel/v...city-200-gph-airfuel-separator-gm/item/30304/

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
This has been discussed at length before and several valid points were made, I'll see if I can't dig up the tread from the archives.

IIRC There is one "flaw" to the air dog pump, I remember it being said that if the pump fails it will keep the truck from running because it's not a "flow through" design. Something like that.

All I know is it's been a good pump for me (ADII 165)
I've installed a fuel sump on my tank (a mod that's not for everyone) to help out the pump, so now it's gravity fed. This eliminates 2 things: the draw straw/ quarter tank issue and it also makes the pump work less.
Not to mention allows you to get every drop of fuel on long trips.

I don't know about the flow through design thing. I do know (because of the sump) if I pull the filter fuel pours out like a river!

I've been interested in hearing if anyone has tried the fuel labs pump
http://fuelab.com/products/diesel/v...city-200-gph-airfuel-separator-gm/item/30304/

AD II doesn't have the quarter tank issues. My truck will still run with my pump turned off.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
The 1/4 tank issues where all thanks to the draw straw right? Easy fix.

Fuellab pumps are pretty nice, but never hear back from the guys running them.

Sweetdiesel was one of them, but he ain't around much anymore.

Sent from a ditch being dug near you using Tapatalk

MD_Max

Need More LLY's
May 2, 2014
the airdog 150 doesnt have a 1/4 tank issue either, I believe they fixed that a while ago.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Do you have the filter number by chance? I've been having issues trying to find a small filter like the airdog takes that flows over 100gph at 2 micron.

Baldwin Fuel BF-7531
Baldwin WS BF-1275

I don't know how much they flow, but it made enough power form me and I wasn't out of fuel. I have a 2 micron cat filter right before the injection pumps too

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
I guess by looking at what you are going to do to the truck, why do you think you need one? Your stock setup will provide all the fuel you need. If you start modding your truck with bigger injectors etc then I'd worry about a lift pump. A good water seperator is a good thing, but you don't have to go to the expense of a spendy pump and filter set up to achieve that. And why would you go to a 5" exhaust with a stock motor, that is complete over kill unless you are planning a major engine build in the future. Do you have a stock tranny? A good intake and 4" exhaust if plenty for a stock truck.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
I run fleetguard filters on my AD, don't remember the price but they are cheap. I get them from my local truck shop along with all of my other filters.

I guess by looking at what you are going to do to the truck, why do you think you need one? Your stock setup will provide all the fuel you need. If you start modding your truck with bigger injectors etc then I'd worry about a lift pump. A good water seperator is a good thing, but you don't have to go to the expense of a spendy pump and filter set up to achieve that. And why would you go to a 5" exhaust with a stock motor, that is complete over kill unless you are planning a major engine build in the future. Do you have a stock tranny? A good intake and 4" exhaust if plenty for a stock truck.

What does exhaust size have to do with him having a stock motor? There is no benefit to 5" unless your running a true full 5". All the 5" exhaust on a duramax start out as 4" and then change to 5" after the transmission cross member. Its been said time and time again that 4" in a plenty, but 5" is for a different sound and of course looks.