Lift Pump Question

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
Hey all, hope everyone is well. I am going to try to make this long story as short as I can. I have tons of posts about "freezing up" I have gone through tons of fuel filters without ever trying to just reprime my fuel system. Well it started happening in excessively hot weather now too. Every time a loosened bleed screw and a few pumps on the primer button will get it started right up. Sure enough the last two days it has been cold as anything and I tried this and it fires up like a champ. I also have a problem when I go WOT it will go into limp for about 3 full seconds and scare the crap out of me...not fun when trying to merge. Myself and two diesel mechanic friends are thinking a lift pump could possibly fix these issues in one fell swoop, but as always I am more than open to opinions from people who have the knowledge since I do not. Recent repairs include a new drivers side fuel rail, which was leaking really bad and a cam sensor. Forgot to mention, the truck also does tend to sometimes not start if parked on a steep angle for more than a few hours.

My main concern for the lift pump is not destroying it. I have read tons of threads about brand and what I need, (i figure a 100 instead of a 150) but I need to be careful as my truck is a daily but I use it on some really really nasty mountain roads where I am constantly going off trail and going over all kinds of things. I am really worried about the pump getting ripped off or damaged. What do you guys do or recommend for that?

I haven't done any modifications to the truck myself as they were all done by the previous owner but here are the details:

2006 LBZ
Banks intake
Banks 4" exhaust no cats
Banks tuner (tuner is broken)
45 gallon tank (cant remember brand)

I appreciate any help from you guys.

-Chris

EDIT: filter head rebuild kit ordered ...still looking for lift pump though.

Last edited:

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Forgot to mention I am also ordering the rebuild kit, and both will be done at the same time. :thumb:

Currently deciding between FASS:

T C10 095G
T C10 150G

I prefer the airdog raptor 100. It goes inside the frame rail and you can mount it damn near to bottom of bed to keep it out of the elements. Then run a cat adaptor with donaldson filter. This is a great set up. Lifetime warranty, cheap, keeps filter out of elements, uses factory fuel bowl heater and keeps filter out of the elements. Filters on frame rails and cold winters dont mix.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I prefer the airdog raptor 100. It goes inside the frame rail and you can mount it damn near to bottom of bed to keep it out of the elements. Then run a cat adaptor with donaldson filter. This is a great set up. Lifetime warranty, cheap, keeps filter out of elements, uses factory fuel bowl heater and keeps filter out of the elements. Filters on frame rails and cold winters dont mix.

Filters on the frame rail have nothing to do with it. My truck has 2 Cat filters on the frame rail for the last few years, never once has it gelled or caused any issues.

If your having Gel issues it's the fuel blend not the filter or it's location...

aklbz

Jan 8, 2015
You can mount a lift pump and filters on the frame rail and they will definitely not be the lowest thing that could get hit on something. Sounds like you have a leak or sucking air somewhere/filter head maybe. Always run an fuel additive also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Filters on the frame rail have nothing to do with it. My truck has 2 Cat filters on the frame rail for the last few years, never once has it gelled or caused any issues.

If your having Gel issues it's the fuel blend not the filter or it's location...
What do you run for additive or is everything up there 50/50 of #1 and #2 for 8 months of the year?

aklbz

Jan 8, 2015
I usually run 8oz stanadyne and 8-10oz of two stroke every fill up

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
What do you run for additive or is everything up there 50/50 of #1 and #2 for 8 months of the year?

I don't run anything Brock... The fuel is pretty well blended for the current weather conditions. If I ran anything it would be for lubricity not antigel.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne

Dont have many options here. I see 15/1 ratio of trucks gelling up with filters on frame comparrd no oem location.

aklbz

Jan 8, 2015
Is there much difference temperature wise of the fuel being in the fuel tank compared to being in a filter next to the fuel tank on the frame? I've never had a gelling issue.

aklbz

Jan 8, 2015
I don't run anything Brock... The fuel is pretty well blended for the current weather conditions. If I ran anything it would be for lubricity not antigel.

Have you ran across anyone up there that carries Opti-Lube yet?

JimmyMac

Sep 1, 2015
I had similar issues. It was recommended to replace the filter head, but no one could prove it was faulty. I install the FASS 150, no issues, and my mileage came up (only a small amount - less than 1mpg). Starts every time within less than a second

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Dont have many options here. I see 15/1 ratio of trucks gelling up with filters on frame comparrd no oem location.

I get that but it has nothing to do with the filter location. The refinery controls the fuel blend.... I can assure you if the filter location made any difference my truck and 1,000 others up here plus every piece of heavy equipment in the state of Alaska would have issues.

The only time we get Gel issues is when we are on summer fuel and get a weird cold snap out of the blue. It hasn't happened in a number of years.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I get that but it has nothing to do with the filter location. The refinery controls the fuel blend.... I can assure you if the filter location made any difference my truck and 1,000 others up here plus every piece of heavy equipment in the state of Alaska would have issues.

The only time we get Gel issues is when we are on summer fuel and get a weird cold snap out of the blue. It hasn't happened in a number of years.

So whats the point of a heated fuel bowl? Why do all pickups put filters close to the engine? I agree if you have the perfect blend its not a issue.

aklbz

Jan 8, 2015
If it's cold enough for fuel to gel in the filters on the frame rail it's going to have the same problem in the tank. I don't see the heated factory fuel head helping much in the situation, maybe I'm wrong.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
So whats the point of a heated fuel bowl? Why do all pickups put filters close to the engine? I agree if you have the perfect blend its not a issue.

Lots of stuff gets put on things that don't do diddly... Filter head heater and water in fuel sensor on these trucks is a perfect example.