Lets talk Turbine size and A/R continued

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
But looking at this, the 4294 has a nice sized compressor wheel with an almost "undersized" turbine wheel, so would that not be indicative of quick spooling characteristics?

:thumb: thank you

That is a racing turbo. We actually put them on 6.7 psd trucks there is a special part number for a 65mm cw inducer that techs nadm work stock.
Its real nasty.

from mobile

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Ok garrett we need to focus on gt42 and gt 45
77mm and 82mm tw respectively
So a gt 4202 would match a s472/83
And a gt 4502 is a s472/87

Next jump to gt..08 is an 80mm cw so the 75mm is not standard in garrett

The gtx4294 is odd also because it uses a 71/94 cw instead of yhe normal 68/94 cw

S472 cw is 72/100

So basically it is not apples to apples

from mobile

Last I checked a gt4202 was comparable to a 83mm turbine s475. They have almost the same size compressor wheel.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
It drives great as a single? I am using this as a primary in a triple kit with 200 overs. I haven't gotten it in the truck yet but will have it done pretty soon. I'm just curious as to what to expect. I am also using a 1055 converter.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I am 2200 stall it lights right up.
A 2400 stall would be better.

You better wastegate it with all that fuel

from mobile

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Last I checked a gt4202 was comparable to a 83mm turbine s475. They have almost the same size compressor wheel.

Yeah I think that is true. I was going off cw exducer and didn't think but the s472 and s475 both have a 100mm exducer and the gt4202 inducer is 74.3mm iirc so it would be closer to the s475

Edited my first post thanks man good catch

from mobile

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I am 2200 stall it lights right up.
A 2400 stall would be better.

You better wastegate it with all that fuel

from mobile

I am using a 60 mm Turbo Smart gate. It may be harder to tune but shouldn't have a problem I would think. I think the 1055 is a 2500 stall.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I am using a 60 mm Turbo Smart gate. It may be harder to tune but shouldn't have a problem I would think. I think the 1055 is a 2500 stall.

Just run the line to the gate to the intermediate pipe and put 18 lb springs in.

You are gonna spoolup good.
You could go a lot looser if you want . You have a bunch of fuel

What 2 chargers are you running in parrelell

from mobile

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Just run the line to the gate to the intermediate pipe and put 18 lb springs in.

You are gonna spoolup good.
You could go a lot looser if you want . You have a bunch of fuel

What 2 chargers are you running in parrelell

from mobile

Two TCT 66/74 .91ar chargers. Bullseye claims they flow 95 lbs each. I'm anxious to actually drive it. Maybe I won't be disappointed with the combo. Bill says they should work very well together.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Two TCT 66/74 .91ar chargers. Bullseye claims they flow 95 lbs each. I'm anxious to actually drive it. Maybe I won't be disappointed with the combo. Bill says they should work very well together.

Use a race cover on the high pressure they flow through much better. It will be impressive. Good choice man

I can get a billet 11 blade cw for the 472 sticks into the mouth a bit more and creates boost quickly. That may enhance your setup.
from mobile

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Yes it has the race covers on all chargers. If it runs that well I may need to find a regular cab and back half a two wheel drive with short bed. Do it like the dodge guys do on their trucks. Not many Dmax guys do their trucks that way. Right now it will be in CCSB 4x4.

BLKLMM

<<< Slow Mamba
Jan 31, 2010
Oceanside
I couldn't spool my 75/87/90 with the 1055..... MLG-K Spools it fast. ... I have been pondering ditching the pbk and running 2 parallel turbos:D

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
There are so many variables that affect overall turbo performance it would be impossible to compare truck to truck, but obviously first hand experience and knowledge that's already out there being shared can definitely help the market grow.

With that said, I LOVE the way the 9180 EFR (67.7FMW/73/13cm stainless gated T3) runs and drives in my stock fueled LB7. At my elevation, with around 550rwhp tune its impossible to get it over 1300-degrees. Turbo is extremely responsive and tows great in a 400hp tune.

I am contemplating testing out one of the new FMW compressors in an S300 chassis though. Either the 64.5mm with a 70mm turbine wheel or the 67.7mm with a 73mm turbine. The 64.5mm has made over 600hp, so it should be more than enough for my stock motor and be incredibly quick to spool.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Hey guys, one thing I always see happen in these threads is that the Borg turbos seem to naturally get gravitated to, for lots of reasons, they are very interchangeable/customizable, easy to get your hands on and fairly cheap.

So naturally in an internet thread they get tons of play. One thing I find frustrating is that there is never any direct comparison between manufactures turbos, as side by side spreadsheet style comparison.

It would be nice, and I think very helpful to have a database/archive to review.

So what is the Garrett and Holset equivalent to the chargers stated above?

Has anyone put an EFR turbo to good use yet?

I still am torn on ditching my VGT set up and running a straight vane set up. I like the simplicity of a single turbo system and have also been looking into different options and pros/cons of various sizes of turbo.

I like the GTX4294R in a .90 or a 1.01 A/R, the GTX4202R has more to offer on the top end, sure, but I'm only going by paper stats and I'm looking at a fairly tight A/R so I figure the added airflow potential of the 02R won't be utilized like it would with a larger A/R like a 1.15.

I bet if someone really hashed out a solid tune for the 4294 it would spool noticeably better than a 4202 and have better street and tow manners while still putting up very respectable whp and tq numbers

The new GTX4088R looks like it's got plenty of potential for high 600's and would be very street and tow friendly.

We can't leave out marks vgt72 or Chase' 71mm cheetah either, they have booth been proven winners.

I think it's also noteworthy to add that , the GTX turbos require less oil for lubrication and heat dissipation and therefor your engine oil temps should reflect that, I/you would think...

:nothingtoadd:

:popcorn:

I dont think vvts can be included in this thread Jason.

From what I've seen with Garrett turbos they spool very quick but seem to lack the top end that the BW & Bullseye units have. I have never been in a truck with a GT45 on it, so that could be difference maker with the bigger turbine. The GTX4202 truck I was in did not impress me at all.

I will be switching to a 1.0 A/R this spring when the dual pumps go on. From what I've heard, the looser A/R really brings them to life with a larger turbine.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I couldn't spool my 75/87/90 with the 1055..... MLG-K Spools it fast. ... I have been pondering ditching the pbk and running 2 parallel turbos:D

you had trouble because of the turbine housing and that 87 wheel. That's what I have been fighting since last year too, the housing is actually too tight and chokes it out.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland

Me too
I am making a remote kit with parrell efr9180's
I have pics on facebook of my single remote

from mobile

rollingthecoal

Feb 4, 2013
I'm running a fmw borgwarner 82/96/1.32 t6 as a single. Takes a little but I can light it with a 1053. 15-24psi out of the hole.hahahah holy smoke cloud though

Last edited:

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
You guys are all pretty far off base with your Garrett knowledge... Not attacking anyone or saying it's anyone's fault, I get that the BW air works are just the norm here.

You guys get so used to comparing apples to apples across Borg frames that we resort to using abbreviations like CW/TW/AR, which is great but doesn't promote actual understanding.

To answer hot coals question about an equivalent to the S472: there isn't an exact equivalent because different manufacturers utilize different compressor wheel profiles. The closest match would be one of the new GTX4202 series that can come with necked down inducers and 102mm exducer compressor wheel, but even then the overall shape of both wheels is totally different even though wheel sizes inducer and outer diameter are close. The GTX4202 necked down is roughly S472 with 83 turbine and the GTX4502 necked down is roughly S472 with 87 turbine.

A lot of people don't realize you can order Garretts with many different inducer diameters (trims) for each compressor wheel, but there are just as many options as Borg has.

And also whoever said the GTX4202 didn't impress, you are correct the turbine is sized for a gas race application and he'd have to either run the 1.22 A/R housing or a GT45 or even GT47 turbine and cartridge to get the exhaust mass flow we need on the top end.

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
That's why a lot of people say they "don't like the way the Garretts develop power" or "the Garretts seem to choke out up top" is an improperly sized turbine choking out high in the RPM band. Most if not all the highest horsepower street driven diesels run Garretts and the reason is that with a properly sized turbine they do have the power up top and the ball bearing cartridge does allow spooling a pretty meaty compressor on the street.

Not attacking anyone or trying to inspire any buyers remorse over your Borgs, just throwing out some truth.

I'll probably be putting an S467.7 FMW with one of the fancy new turbine wheels on my truck eventually
Or if I'm feeling rich ill do a GTX4294 with 1.01 A/R and probably still tow like a beast

Last edited: