LED tail light problems

Toxic

Dec 30, 2015
Mansfield, OH
So a few months ago I bought Morimoto XB 3157 bulbs to replace everything in the rear. I ran into issues with the turn signal fuses blowing as soon as the headlights would turn on. So I put Halogen in the rear turn signals and that seemed to have fixed it. Then a few months later the veh stop fuse would blow every time the brakes were applied so I replaced those with halogen also, and everything has been fine since. I have the LED flasher relay installed and LED switchback in the front along with led drl's

I recently got some spyder led tail lights, and they are doing similar stuff, but they aren't blowing any fuses. With only the tail lights and sidemarkers plugged in they function perfectly, but when you plug the turn signals in the passenger light doesn't fully function. The tail lights should be fully lit up when they are on, but the passenger one is only 1/2 lit up. the turn signals and brake lights still function, but hte passenger light is only 1/2 lit.

Honestly I'm not sure where to look, reading other forums, I have come up with it is either wiring bad somewhere, the jumper block by the spare tire is bad, or the headlamp or multi function turn signal switch is bad, or possibly even the BCM. What makes no sense to me is why the halogens work perfectly, and yet the LEDs give me nothing but problems. I've been trying to determine where the grounds for the rear lights are, but I cant find any near the back of the truck. I have swapped the assemblies to opposite side and it is still the same result, I've disconnected the connections at the junction block and sprayed electronic cleaner in them also.

I think tomorrow I'm gonna go pick up a new junction block, see if that changes anything, if not I can return it. After that I think changing headlamp or turn signal switch, can get them at the local Upull place for super cheap.

Here is what they look like with tail lights/headlights on and turn signals plugged in.

Attachments

• 20170114_144443.jpg
    20170114_144443.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 31

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
If you check GMUPFITTER.COM they have the wiring diagram for the truck.

Here are the ground locations.

Attachments

• Grounds.pdf
    597.7 KB · Views: 4

Toxic

Dec 30, 2015
Mansfield, OH
On another forum I was told to run a ground jumper from the 7pin trailer harness, but not sure if I connect it to both the tail and signal bulb grounds, and not sure if I only need to do it to the passenger side or both sides either. Or would it be better to run separate grounds from all the bulbs to the frame?

I looked for that ground around the spare tire and I couldn't find anything. Assuming the ground isn't there, where does it connect up to?