Leak and question about my 2018 l5p duramax

Jakers24

May 15, 2024
Kentucky
Hey everyone I’m new to this site and also to owning a duramax or diesel in general. I have an 2018 L5P. I have some questions about a leak! Also I was wondering if it was normal to hear a high pitch whistle when accelerating firmly to go up hill or to speed up at a faster pace? Also the leak I’m having is on the drivers side front corner of the motor it seems to on this black plastic piece that’s next to the block and leaking down making it look like a upper oil pan leak. I have plenty of photos too. My friend said that it’s normal all diesels leak a small amount of oil. But I was wondering if that was something to be worried about and where could it be coming from? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0325.jpeg
    IMG_0325.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0326.jpeg
    IMG_0326.jpeg
    460.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0328.jpeg
    IMG_0328.jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0330.jpeg
    IMG_0330.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 20

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Squealing is probably an up pipe leak. Seen the bellows break on those up pipes and cause that. Might be a gasket too for the up pipes. Your going to need to look for soot around the up pipes

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I don't think the oil is coming from the plastic piece in your last picture. That looks like mount for the wiring harness. Your going to have to clean up all the oil really well and then keep a look out for where it's leaking.

Probably not anything I would worry about unless it's under warranty. Doesn't look to be leaking enough that you would even need to add any oil in-between oil changes. Just keep an eye on the oil level and if the leak gets worse.

Jakers24

May 15, 2024
Kentucky
Hey everyone! I’ve got some questions I went to check the oil level on my duramax today and it was at operating temp. I noticed a light mist coming from the oil dipstick tube. I’ve only had the truck for a month and it’s only drove on the weekends. When buying the truck I checked both the dipstick and oil filler neck for any blow by and it was perfect nothing coming out. I have not done an oil change on the truck yet. I noticed it has one of those cheap oil filters on it. I am planning on doing an oil change tomorrow. I don’t have any codes either and even with the light mist I can still flip the oil filler cap on top of the neck and it doesn’t budge. The truck only has 84,000 miles. But any help would be appreciated thank you!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Merged your two threads into L5P section.

Time to do what the guys said to do above ^^^ in order to start diagnosing your truck.

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
clean up the area.looks like the oil leak is the aluminum mid pan to block gasket area.can try tightening the bolts but if you really want to fix.your gonna need to remove it.