Leaf springs and air bags

trashygasman

Slowly but Surely
Dec 18, 2008
Washington, OK
Anybody ever remove any leafs after installing air bags to help the ride and use the air bags for the suspension more like a semi truck suspension? I already have the bags and was thinking of doing this and installing traction bars for axle wrap.

RedHotGMC

stock
Jan 16, 2012
Northern Utah
I just installed airbags and already have traction bars, removing the overload is my next item to do, I dont see an issue as long as you dont run it empty and let it fully conpress

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I had air rite 5000lb helpers on my rig with the overloads, like most empty 3/4 and 1 tons it was a pretty harsh ride in the rear. When I lifted the truck I took the overloads out and added a deaver 2" mini pack and the ride is sooooooo much better empty, like a 1/2 ton or even better. Also when towing the air bags and mini pack yield a much smoother ride than before as well. I'd say it's a very good set up:thumb:

trashygasman

Slowly but Surely
Dec 18, 2008
Washington, OK
I got the Smartair system with my Airlifts. It has a automatic leveling sensor on it that keeps it at ride height all the time. So far I'm really happy with it. So I'm thinking for what I'm wanting to do it would be perfect.

kirker912

May 5, 2009
I'm running 2600 air bags and have removed the overloads. I have an onboard air compressor and tank and the truck self levels like you describe. Works great. Rides amazing

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I can't believe no one else has done this or thought of doing it. :confused:

Sure, I thought about it. However, adding the air compressor, wiring and pressure gauge(s) to the cabin wasn't something I was interested in, either in cost or added crap. So I rigged up an air hose that I clip onto the valve stem of a tire and fill the bags (usually to about 40psi) whenever I tow/haul something.

It takes about 1-2lbs of pressure from the tire to do this, and I usually will take it from each rear tire to fill the corresponding air bag.

The hose sits behind the rear seat, cost me about $5 and takes about 2min to use...it's a little more labor intensive to manually fill the bags, but it's effective nonetheless.

:thumb:

Last edited:

LASTMIKE

22' truck club
Oct 23, 2008
AnyCal
Trashygasman, I too have been thinking about the same setup. I have a 6 inch lift with 5 inch blocks in the rear only. I wanted to remove a leaf or two and use traction bars mounted to the bottom of the axle to control wrap. Of course using the bags for weight capacity and the leaf pack to locate the axle.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mb1

Nov 15, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I had the OL springs removed and thought the air bags were too squished to be optimal. Either you run 15-20# empty so the bags support the truck and don't bottom out all the time ( but the ride is a little bouncier than I'd like) or you let the air out to get the lowered look that you're likely after if you're doing this, and the bags bottom.

Ideally you run a ford style bag mount that puts the upper bag beside the frame rail and let's it stretch a little more.

'12 T4
Husaberg 570FE

Grizz3500

May 28, 2011
Hauser, Idaho
I have 2-3" lowering shackles and installed single convoluted bags in the inboard position from PacBrake. They are about 4" tall. In my garage is what I tow and haul. They work great. I can find the part number if anyone is interested.

kansascav24

Feb 24, 2014
Pennsylvania
I messaged you Grizz, in reference to the PacBrake bags.

Right now I'm looking for an air bag suspension, but not sure if I'll have any luck with a 2" drop shackle and the OL's removed. I've sent out a few emails to people to see what possible solutions there are. If need be, I might have to but the stock shackles back on and deal with the raked look...but would like to avoid that if at all possible.

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
I messaged you Grizz, in reference to the PacBrake bags.

Right now I'm looking for an air bag suspension, but not sure if I'll have any luck with a 2" drop shackle and the OL's removed. I've sent out a few emails to people to see what possible solutions there are. If need be, I might have to but the stock shackles back on and deal with the raked look...but would like to avoid that if at all possible.

I'm running the ones that are in this thread http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45745&highlight=airlift I have a 3" shackle and one spring removed.

714banshee380

Dec 14, 2012
i'm going to be running the air lift #59209 slam air bag kit with overloads removed and cal tracs with 3" lowering shackles

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
Sure, I thought about it. However, adding the air compressor, wiring and pressure gauge(s) to the cabin wasn't something I was interested in, either in cost or added crap. So I rigged up an air hose that I clip onto the valve stem of a tire and fill the bags (usually to about 40psi) whenever I tow/haul something.

It takes about 1-2lbs of pressure from the tire to do this, and I usually will take it from each rear tire to fill the corresponding air bag.

The hose sits behind the rear seat, cost me about $5 and takes about 2min to use...it's a little more labor intensive to manually fill the bags, but it's effective nonetheless.

:thumb:
nice idea,,
i use an old high pressure bicycle pump I had from way back in the day.works great.use it every time I get a ton of pellets from Home D.

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
I removed the overload leaf & 1 leaf out of the leaf pack, added airbags and a self leveling valve for load capacity, and put in a block about 1 1/2" to bring the rear back up to stock height. Works great and rides like a 1/2 ton