LBZ Power Steering/Steering Gear Issues

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
Hey guy, I have a 2006 CCSB with about 205k on it and within the last two weeks installed a new 2011 hydroboost, acdelco master cylinder and the power stop Z36 (or something close to that) kit with new brakes, calipers, rotors, and Russell braided stainless soft lines. I have regularly flushed the power steering fluid on my 99 6.0 Chevy and my 16 LML as well as this one without issue, just for background. I noticed my power steering pump whining while driving rpm dependent after I installed this stuff and flushed it again hoping it was just some air in the system. At that time it was not whining while turning. I’ve since driven it across the country and am still in PA and the whining has continued and the steering is getting stiff and it whines when I make sharp turns. Do y’all think I’m missing something I could have done or is it just time for a new power steering pump? It’s been holding fluid level and I don’t see any new leakage signs. There’s a couple other things going on that I want to address before I drive back across the country in a couple weeks and will be pulling the valve covers soon. I’ll make another post addressing that stuff though.

As a secondary note, there is a good bit of slack in my steering that needs addressing and I plan to replace the steering gear as well. I don’t plan on lifting my LBZ nor running bigger tires than I mentioned above on this truck any time soon as it’s a DD and used to tow my goosenecks and some trips into the mountains. I’ve read that the guy who owns the forum now has had good luck with Napa boxes and others here mentioned the same after swapping a few, and I have personally had mixed luck with red heads at least on fords I’ve installed. I don’t want to spend over $800 on a PSC and from what I’ve read, the rock auto box that was similar seems to not be available anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent box these days as most of what I read seems to be a couple years old now. Thanks in advance guys for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
alot of people rave about the blue top reman ones. they state they put larger bearings in them, have heard good things about them and they are 290-310 depending on where you buy them

68ss

Dec 30, 2019
I changed mine to a blue top. I have about 10k on it and I really like it.

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
Thanks guys for the input. I’d heard somewhere blue top was related to a guy who used to work for red head or something, but don’t know anyone who’s had any of his products. Just for reference, I wandered into GMC dealer outside Cumberland, and they quoted me at $740 for a GM one. I laughed a bit. The same place wanted $340 or $370 for a pump. I can’t remember which one. I’ll be ordering both soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOMAN

Jul 19, 2008
red hed box is working super good for me and put in a new updated GM pump,This is a 2008-10 LMM Duramax version. I opened unit up and inspected it. It is new, and yes from China. It is a dealer over the counter version part, I even compared GM tags on side of box and on pump. It's a 12 vane pump, has the 5/32" size fluid port hole, and has the highest pressure (factory) blow off valve. It's fully seated, no shim washers, but no internal shim inside on spring only. Canister housing is galvanized. Magnet is inside housing near pump fluid inlet to catch metallic debris. And lastly for the na sayers... This was built and tested with ATF, not Amber color power steering fluid. Fluid remained inside housing and pump still. Didn't test to be Dex VI, just Dex III per sentistokes test. So there you all go. If your here looking for this pump, this is the info your REALLY after. I did the work for others.

ACDelco GM Original Equipment 20756713 Power Steering Pump​

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Nothing beats PSC's box and pump. The pump puts out higher flow than the GM pump and their box is the only actual upgrade over the OEM box. The internals in the PSC box are bigger (shaft, bearings, gears etc).

Eddie_LLY

Jul 28, 2014
Colorado
Nothing beats PSC's box and pump. The pump puts out higher flow than the GM pump and their box is the only actual upgrade over the OEM box. The internals in the PSC box are bigger (shaft, bearings, gears etc).
Is the PSC box this part number: SG039 that their website lists at $895.00 ?

They also have SG039R at $995.00

The only difference I can seem to find is the SG039R has cylinder assist ports the non-R doesn't have.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
You're correct, SG039 is for use without a steering assist cylinder (like massive offroad tires) where the SG039R has an assist port. They're not cheap but we do free shipping as that's all I can do without voiding MAP policies.