LBZ piston replacement

Mar 27, 2008
Sheridan, IN.
What would be envolved in replacing the pistons and rods on a LBZ before they went boom. I am looking at the most economic way to do this. I realize the engine would hve to be pulled heads and all accessories on the top of the motor. Would you have to have the cylinders delipped or any other machine work. What does a set of lb7 cut and coated pistons run versus a forged set.
Ballbark doing the tear down and labor myself what are we looking at for money invovled.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Rods and Pistons with rings and pins are around 4918.00 shipped, You will nee dto have the block tq plate honed and the setup balanced.If you stay with main bolts and not main studs you will need new bolts from GM and side bolts all cost around 50 bucks for all 10 mains and 10 side cap ones, Most of the gaskets and the head gaskets and sealent will run with the bolts I said above total is 530 area, The forged pistons are 2500 bucks just alittle more then the LB7 that are cut and coated the pretty sure the mahle forged ones are not coated on top and there is not hard proof on daily drive life.your going to havd 530 in head studs, with you doing all the work yourself you will have around 8000k in parts and machine work mybe just a hair less, You will have 60 hrs of work in pulling the motor tearing it down and rebuilding it and installing it back in your truck.Look at a few of my post and you can see I posted alot of pics from my rebuild and lots of part #'s heres a link http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5608&page=3
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6679

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Thanks for the info, does it save you any money if you do the replacement before a failure, or is it better to just hope you get lucky.

Depends. If you spilt a piston or bend a rod and hurt the block it will cost more. If you just blow a hole in the piston and the cylinder can be honed to clean up and not bored it really is about even.

I still would rather build it, before I break it. It is best to buy another short block and build it so you dont have so much truck down time. It costs more up front but you can get your money back out of the stock long block when you install the built engine. Building the engine in the truck is what I did. I regret it honestly. I should have built another motor then swapped. Builds always take longer then planned.

NelsonDiesel

Formerly StewieTuned
May 8, 2008
Buena Park, CA
www.NelsonDiesel.com
i am looking into a repair "before" a catastrophic failure. I am only considering fresh rings, LBZ or LMM rods and necessary work/parts to put it back together :) . i am a long way from this but it is in my mind.....

I am a firm believer in fixing things before they break....

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
i am looking into a repair "before" a catastrophic failure. I am only considering fresh rings, LBZ or LMM rods and necessary work/parts to put it back together :) . i am a long way from this but it is in my mind.....

I am a firm believer in fixing things before they break....

Not me dont fix wht aint broke :D but then im a dummy with work/race truck with a broken motor :D

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Imo do the rods at the same time or wait untill you can afford them, lbz rods will hold 600 rwhp no prob but as you go up you take more chance of a failure. your saveing 2400 + $ inetailly but if you window your block and damge your new pistons you will be into it for alot more then that. and plus all the time to rebuild again

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Depends. If you spilt a piston or bend a rod and hurt the block it will cost more. If you just blow a hole in the piston and the cylinder can be honed to clean up and not bored it really is about even.

I still would rather build it, before I break it. It is best to buy another short block and build it so you dont have so much truck down time. It costs more up front but you can get your money back out of the stock long block when you install the built engine. Building the engine in the truck is what I did. I regret it honestly. I should have built another motor then swapped. Builds always take longer then planned.

I am learning this now:rolleyes: And you are correct:thumb:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
so to change the rods and pistons, and nothing else, the block HAS to go to the machine shop? Exactly how necessary is that? Thinking along the lines of running this engine one year, then tearing down to build appropriately the following winter.

Basically want to take pistons and rods out and put used cut lb7s with fresh rings and new rods and go. If I have the rods and pistons balanced, do they have to balanced with the crank?

I want to know what trent did to get his done for less than $5k! :thumb:

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
Now boyz you know everyone has their own little opinion an everyone thinks their right, LOL, If u don't have deep pocket u have to be smart common sense goes along way, It all depends on what your going to do with the truck after the build. what Hp an Torque you want to run, and boost. That will tell where u need to start, that's my littlle opinion.

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
quite literally, I'm building a grenade. I'm gonna push it way harder than it should be and only need it to last a year. Just can't afford the charger, and dual cp3s and build the engine all out in the beginning. So, engine is gonna have to be as simple as absolutely possible.

It might not be possible, I don't know. I'm probably just gonna buy a seperate block and crank and build it up correctly from there. ;)

C-ya

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Yes Mitch the Dmax needs to be balanced with crank, balancer AND flywheel iirc. However if someone is running a motor that wasn't balanced I'd assume they'd have their rods damn near the same weight ;). The stock motors are nowhere near balanced I'll tell you that much.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
hes talking about balancing the rotating assembly when he switches rods and pistons. not boring/honing the block